Our beloved grandfather, Poppy Sol, started this business in an open-air market. Three generations later, we’re still bringing smiles to our customers' faces.
Pine Nuts (Pignolias)
Our fresh pine nuts (also known as pignolias), have a delicate sweet and nutty flavor. Blend pine nuts into a creamy pesto sauce, or add them to cookies and baked goods for a nutty crunch. Roasting the pine nuts will bring out their unique flavor to toss in salads, pastas, and other dishes.
1) Pine nuts are commonly heated to intensify their mild nutty flavor. To toast pine nuts in the oven, bake them on a flat tray at 325-degree F for 5-10 minutes, stirring them occasionally to ensure they're evenly toasted and golden brown.
2) To roast them in a dry skillet, cook the pine nuts over medium-low heat for only a few minutes, until they are lightly browned and be careful that they don't burn (small nuts heat up quickly)!
3) Roasted pine nuts go well with vegetables, on salads, and in pasta dishes. Pesto sauce is usually made with unheated pine nuts, but roasting the nuts can add a unique and deep nutty flavor.
4) Pine nuts used in baking can be unheated because roasting can overpower other ingredients in sweet recipes. Unroasted pine nuts add a delicate flavor and nutty crunch to cakes, cookies, and other baked goods.
Pine Nut Health Benefits
1) Oleic Acid: Pine nuts are an excellent source of monounsaturated fats, like oleic acid. Oleic acid is responsible for lowering LDL "bad" cholesterol levels, improving antioxidant activity, and supporting cardiovascular function.
2) Appetite Suppressant: A paper presented in 2006 at the American Chemical Society discussed the results of pinolenic acid on feelings of hunger. Researchers found that pinolenic acid stimulates the release of hormones that suppress hunger and provide a sense of fullness.
3) Manganese: Pine nuts are a rich source of manganese, an essential mineral that aids our body's daily functions. Manganese plays a critical role in bone development, calcium absorption, blood sugar regulation, and other metabolic processes.
4) All-Around Health Nut: Pine nuts boast an impressive nutrient profile. They are an excellent source of protein, iron, dietary fiber, phosphorus, beta carotene, and vitamins B, E, & K. Adding a 1-oz. serving of pine nuts to your diet is a great way to enjoy their many health benefits.
How are pine nuts harvested?
Pine nuts are small, elongated, and edible seeds harvested from the cones of pine trees. When mature pine seeds are ready to be harvested, the cones are collected, dried, and processed to open their scales and remove the pine kernels. The labor-intensive extraction procedure contributes to the high price of pine nuts compared to other nut varieties.
As with many nuts, pine nuts have a high oil content that can make them spoil quickly if not properly stored. If you have remaining pine nuts within the first couple weeks of receiving them, they should be stored in the fridge and can be kept for up to 3 months. Pine nuts can also be be stored in the freezer for up to 9 months, and should be first transferred to a plastic bag within an airtight container.
Leave online feedback and share your thoughts with other customers!
Garce November 2, 2011
“They look great. I always ordered pignoli nuts from another company but their prices were much higher than yours. Your were also packaged much better. I can't wait to make my famous pignoli cookies. ”
Frank, La Grange Park, IL October 23, 2011
“Shipping was superfast, freshest product. Will definitely shop here more often. Prices and quality are the best.”
Barbara, Brooklyn, New York October 11, 2011
“I received my order today, which was fast. I am totally pleased with the pistachio nuts. They taste great, fresh and are large in size. I can hardly wait to try the cashews, and to make my favorite pesto sauce with the pignolia nuts. FYI, the surprise, figs, were the best I have tasted. My husband loved them also. From now on, its Nuts Online for me. Thanks much. Barbara.”
pat, round mtn, Texas September 7, 2011
“Perfection, I will always order from you. Excellent service and product. Thanks.”
Maria, Hollywood, FL August 20, 2011
“We received our order in 3 days!!!!!!! The nuts are delicious. My 4 year old has a bunch of hazelnuts in one hand and Turkish fig in the other. I can't wait to make some pesto with whatever pine nuts are left after my hubby surrenders the bag. Oh, and did I mention the quinoa 5lb bag was at the fabulous price of 3.87/lb??!!!! Completely thrilled with my experience on this site!!!!!!!”
Deb, Hoffman Estates, IL August 10, 2011
“I am amazed at this company's customer service! I received my order within 36 hours!!! I ordered pine nuts and walnuts--both seemed to have been harvested and place in a box for shipping!! Ridiculously fresh and tasted amazing!! Thank you NUTS ONLINE!!! You have yourself a customer for life!!”
Barbara, Laurel Highlands, PA August 4, 2011
“I love Nuts Online. Everything I buy I am very satisfied with and the customer service is outstanding. Shipping is super fast. I am so glad I have found you !”
Becky, Shenandoah Valley, Virginia July 26, 2011
“Wow! Talk about fast delivery! I couldn't believe how fast this was, now i can't use that as an excuse not to get baking! Will have to stick to the "Its too hot to bake". Can't wait to try my order..best prices and fastest delivery, biggies that will be hard to beat! Thanks!!!!”
Heather, Ivoryton, CT July 19, 2011
“I love your products and it was a very fast shipping time! I hope you continue to expand your product line.”
Hilary, Reading, PA July 13, 2011
“This was my first time ordering from you - was extremely pleased!!! Pine nuts were awesome in my pesto, the quinoa was super good tasting and the gummy bears lasted about a day.......:) I will definitely be ordering from you again!!”
Showing 41-50 of 68
john, red bank, NJ September 8, 2014
Serving Size 28g (~1 oz.)
(Approx. 16.2 Servings/Pound)
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories From Fat||160|
Packaged in the same facility as peanuts, tree nuts, soy, and milk products.
Approximately 800 pieces per pound.
Store open or closed under refrigeration for up to 6 months. This item can be frozen.
Country of Origin: China
|5 Pound Bags|
|27.5 Pound Cases|