Our beloved grandfather, Poppy Sol, started this business in an open-air market. Three generations later, we’re still bringing smiles to our customers' faces.
Pine Nuts (Pignolias)
Our fresh pine nuts (also known as pignolias), have a delicate sweet and nutty flavor. Blend pine nuts into a creamy pesto sauce, or add them to cookies and baked goods for a nutty crunch. Roasting the pine nuts will bring out their unique flavor to toss in salads, pastas, and other dishes.
1) Pine nuts are commonly heated to intensify their mild nutty flavor. To toast pine nuts in the oven, bake them on a flat tray at 325-degree F for 5-10 minutes, stirring them occasionally to ensure they're evenly toasted and golden brown.
2) To roast them in a dry skillet, cook the pine nuts over medium-low heat for only a few minutes, until they are lightly browned and be careful that they don't burn (small nuts heat up quickly)!
3) Roasted pine nuts go well with vegetables, on salads, and in pasta dishes. Pesto sauce is usually made with unheated pine nuts, but roasting the nuts can add a unique and deep nutty flavor.
4) Pine nuts used in baking can be unheated because roasting can overpower other ingredients in sweet recipes. Unroasted pine nuts add a delicate flavor and nutty crunch to cakes, cookies, and other baked goods.
Pine Nut Health Benefits
1) Oleic Acid: Pine nuts are an excellent source of monounsaturated fats, like oleic acid. Oleic acid is responsible for lowering LDL "bad" cholesterol levels, improving antioxidant activity, and supporting cardiovascular function.
2) Appetite Suppressant: A paper presented in 2006 at the American Chemical Society discussed the results of pinolenic acid on feelings of hunger. Researchers found that pinolenic acid stimulates the release of hormones that suppress hunger and provide a sense of fullness.
3) Manganese: Pine nuts are a rich source of manganese, an essential mineral that aids our body's daily functions. Manganese plays a critical role in bone development, calcium absorption, blood sugar regulation, and other metabolic processes.
4) All-Around Health Nut: Pine nuts boast an impressive nutrient profile. They are an excellent source of protein, iron, dietary fiber, phosphorus, beta carotene, and vitamins B, E, & K. Adding a 1-oz. serving of pine nuts to your diet is a great way to enjoy their many health benefits.
How are pine nuts harvested?
Pine nuts are small, elongated, and edible seeds harvested from the cones of pine trees. When mature pine seeds are ready to be harvested, the cones are collected, dried, and processed to open their scales and remove the pine kernels. The labor-intensive extraction procedure contributes to the high price of pine nuts compared to other nut varieties.
As with many nuts, pine nuts have a high oil content that can make them spoil quickly if not properly stored. If you have remaining pine nuts within the first couple weeks of receiving them, they should be stored in the fridge and can be kept for up to 3 months. Pine nuts can also be be stored in the freezer for up to 9 months, and should be first transferred to a plastic bag within an airtight container.
Leave online feedback and share your thoughts with other customers!
Ashton, Gadshill, Ontario August 29, 2013
“I came here looking for pine nuts at a decent price. Not only did I find these amazingly priced nuts, but several other items which so far are all amazing! The shipping was so fast I ordered Monday and got it Thursday morning and I am in Canada! I am officially a nuts.com lover! And I just love the packaging it looks amazing and makes me laugh!
christine, Centreville, virginia July 18, 2013
“It was my first order from nuts.com. It turned out to be delicious! Heavenly fresh!
Thank you for the lovely gift and see you soon!”
Barbara, Tullahoma, TN July 16, 2013
“YAY! My pine nuts came about an hour ago, and the first thing I did was run out back to tell the basil plants! You have made them soooo happy! And, yes, I too am happy, living here in Pesto City. 8D -ba”
Elinor, Columbia, Al. July 13, 2013
“Fast service, love the products, we will be ordering again.
Neil Snyder, North Vernon, IN June 6, 2013
“I received my first order from your company today, and I made a enough trail-mix for a side dish for a healthy lunch... I've never had dates that were so tender and sweet. The pumpkin and sunflower seeds... The pine nuts... Everything was amazing. No salt or sugar needed! And thank you so much for the sample of the figs!!! That was wonderful surprise! They were amazing! Next month they will probably be on the order. Can we expect other taste testing surprises in the future?”
toni, queens, NY May 23, 2013
“I received my order 1 day after ordering...how is that even possible?
The pine nuts were delicious and creamy fresh, the sumac fresh and fragrant and the organic Turkish figs simply devine!
i do not know why anyone would want to shop elsewhere!”
Tammy, Rochester, Nh April 5, 2013
“You guys are the nuttiest. I love it. Ordered yesterday. got it today. Never seen anything so fast. Will definitely be reordering.”
Jean, Cincinnati, Ohio February 7, 2013
“Faster than fast shipping, bright, colorful packages and a treat to boot - made my day! You Nuts are the best!”
La Barbara, Leesville, La January 17, 2013
“Wow! Got my package today and when nuts over the packaging. But the contents in side the package has sent me over the hill. I have been nuttier than you can even imagine. This is the best I have ever had. I'm a complete nut now so happy to know where I can get my nut blessings from. Oh and thanks for my gift what a nutty gesture. Thanks again for welcoming me into the Nut family”
Linda, Belvidere, Il December 15, 2012
“As ALWAYS, fast shipping, fresh, and delicious. I'm NEVER disappointed:)”
Showing 21-30 of 68
john, red bank, NJ September 8, 2014
Serving Size 28g (~1 oz.)
(Approx. 16.2 Servings/Pound)
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories From Fat||160|
Packaged in the same facility as peanuts, tree nuts, soy, and milk products.
Approximately 800 pieces per pound.
Store open or closed under refrigeration for up to 6 months. This item can be frozen.
Country of Origin: China
|5 Pound Bags|
|27.5 Pound Cases|