Our beloved grandfather, Poppy Sol, started this business in an open-air market. Three generations later, we’re still bringing smiles to our customers' faces.
Organic amaranth is a sweet, earthy, gluten-free grain. It's extremely high in protein, iron, and fiber, and a staple in gluten-free diets. Amaranth is a versatile grain that can be enjoyed as part of a satisfying hot breakfast, in delectable cookies, in savory soups, and more!
Amaranth Cooking Ideas
There are many different methods to cook and eat organic amaranth, from cooking it like rice to popping it like popcorn!
1. A simple way to prepare amaranth is to boil it for about 15-20 minutes and add it to your morning cereal or toss it in a salad, similar to how you might eat couscous or quinoa.
2. You can also grind it into amaranth flour to use in baked goods, potentially toasting it to bring out more of its nutty flavor before your grind it.
3. A fun way to eat amaranth is to pop it and season it like popcorn.
4. Whole seed, cooked organic amaranth also goes well in soups, granolas, and breads.
Amaranth Health Benefits
1. Amaranth is a Protein Powerhouse: Amaranth is made up of 13-14% protein, and it easily contains 30% more protein than other grains. Amaranth contains the important amino acid lysine, which is not found in many grains and is vital for building muscle protein and helping the body run.
2. Amaranth Contains More Fiber Than Any Other Gluten-Free Grain: One cup of amaranth contains 18g of fiber, more than any other gluten-free grain. In comparison, buckwheat and millet contain 17g and white rice contains 2.4g.
3. Amaranth May Lower LDL “Bad” Cholesterol Levels: Amaranth is one of the few grains that contain phytosterols, nutrients that play a major part in the prevention of many kinds of disease and may lower LDL cholesterol levels. University of Guelph researchers discovered that amaranth contains all three major phytosterols, which have cholesterol-lowering properties. These findings are published in the journal Plant Foods for Human Nutrition.
4. Amaranth Reduces Inflammation: A 2008 study published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry identified the presence of bioactive peptides in amaranth, which are compounds that protect against inflammation associated with chronic conditions like diabetes, heart disease, and cancer.
5. Amaranth is a Rich Source of Vitamins and Minerals: Amaranth is loaded with essential vitamins and minerals to keep your immune system strong and support your body's many functions. Amaranth boasts minerals like calcium, magnesium, zinc, potassium, and vitamins A, C, K, B5, B6, folate, and riboflavin.
6. Amaranth is Easy to Digest: Cooked amaranth is 90% digestible, making it easy on the digestive tract and also enabling your body to effectively use amaranth's rich source of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients.
It is best to store organic amaranth in a tightly sealed container, preferably a glass jar, in a cool, dark, dry location. Do not store organic amaranth in a cabinet near a stove, oven or dishwasher. If stored properly, organic amaranth can have a shelf life of up to one year.
Amaranth in Space
In 1985, Amaranth literally took off! This grain took a ride out of the Earth's atmosphere on US Space Shuttle Atlantis' maiden voyage. Astronauts conducted tests growing amaranth on space and ate amaranth cookies during their mission.
Amaranth in History
Amaranth was the favored grain of the Aztec empire where it was also used in religious ceremonies. The Aztecs would use amaranth to build statues of their religious deities, such as their hummingbird god. At the end of the celebrations, the statue would be broken down and eaten. Hoping to discourage Aztec religious practices, the Spanish conquistadors banned the cultivation of amaranth and it grew only as a weed for hundreds of years. Amaranth was re-discovered in the 1970 and its popularity resurged because of the grain's high nutritional content.
Leave online feedback and share your thoughts with other customers!
Ann Rose Greenberg, Silver Spring, MD March 22, 2013
“I can't say enough great things about Nuts.com! Every time I order, I'm amazed at how quickly my shipment arrives, and everything I've ever ordered has been delicious and fresh. And at such reasonable prices. The customer service is outstanding as well. I feel as if I'm ordering from a family not a company. Thank you! Keep doing what you do!”
Mary, Aurora, Co March 7, 2013
“Wow......as promised my order delivered!! I am so amazed and delighted with my order. I opened up my ginger right a way. It is so fresh, unlike what I have gnawed on before. AND to top that off.... a surprise from your company...WE LOVE dried mango!!
You will be my #1 place to order my nutritious grains and goodies. Went above and beyond my expectations!! Thanks so much...The Anderson Family
Kimberly, Grand Rapids, Michigan January 16, 2013
“Love, love, love... the goodies (yum!), the freshness (consistently!), the selection (awesome!), the speedy delivery (turbo!), the free sample (merci!), the fun packaging (rocks!). Always happy with everything I order from this buncha nuts. :) ”
Fay, locust valley, new york December 12, 2012
“Thank you so much for the very speedy delivery!!! Your packaging is adorable and very uplifting. Your products are fresh and delicious. I will be buying again from you. ”
Laura, Troy, OH September 8, 2012
“I found your website by accident while looking for amaranth. I love it. Thanks for such speedy shipping. I'm a fan and will be a repeat shopper at your "store" . I loved the free sample of quinoa. I've already cooked some.
Thanks for a great site. ”
Miho, New york, NY September 6, 2012
“Yes, I'm back!! I'm enjoying the Quinoa and Amaranth.
I really like your new packaging!!
Roy, Harrisville, MI August 15, 2012
“You guys really get cracking when it comes to shipping! Great prices too...I got 25 lbs of amaranth for just peanuts! It's nice to get good value when you're shelling out hard earned cash. Nice box too. Now my neighbors are absolutely sure I'm nuts. ”
Lois, CLAREMORE, OK August 9, 2012
“Thank-you for my order, On time.. can't wait to try the Organic Amaranth, lotes of great stuff to make. Also love the Chia seeds...like them right out of the bag!! Can't wait to put them in my yogurt. And thanks for the free sample of the Goji Berries,,,mine all mine!!! God Bless!”
Teresa, Nebraska June 15, 2012
“Received order fast. I'm enjoying
the Quinoa and Amaranth.
Francis, Vienna, VA January 30, 2012
“On the Internet, I went looking for sources of amaranth and found Nuts.com. There were so many unique and tasty sounding snacks that I ordered more than the one.
My order was placed late afternoon on Friday and the next Monday morning the shipment was received. I did not pay for rush delivery and was not expecting such quick delivery. The three snacks that I have tasted so far are delicious. Thank you so much for including the bag of plain goji berries as they are my favorite too.”
Showing 11-20 of 45
Ana, St Louis, MO March 31, 2014
“The amaranth was promptly used to make cookies... and inhaled them. They are almost gone! The veggie chips.. well .. let me tell you that we got them on Friday and we barely have any and it is Monday. My husband, my 2 yo and myself loved them! THANK YOU!”
Serving Size 28g (~1 oz.)
(Approx. 16.2 Servings/Pound)
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories From Fat||15|
Packaged in the same facility as peanuts, tree nuts, soy, and milk products.
Country of Origin: India
|1 Pound Bags|
|5 Pound Bags|
|25 Pound Cases|