Our beloved grandfather, Poppy Sol, started this business in an open-air market. Three generations later, we’re still bringing smiles to our customers' faces.
Organic amaranth is a sweet, earthy, gluten-free grain. It's extremely high in protein, iron, and fiber, and a staple in gluten-free diets. Amaranth is a versatile grain that can be enjoyed as part of a satisfying hot breakfast, in delectable cookies, in savory soups, and more!
Amaranth Cooking Ideas
There are many different methods to cook and eat organic amaranth, from cooking it like rice to popping it like popcorn!
1. A simple way to prepare amaranth is to boil it for about 15-20 minutes and add it to your morning cereal or toss it in a salad, similar to how you might eat couscous or quinoa.
2. You can also grind it into amaranth flour to use in baked goods, potentially toasting it to bring out more of its nutty flavor before your grind it.
3. A fun way to eat amaranth is to pop it and season it like popcorn.
4. Whole seed, cooked organic amaranth also goes well in soups, granolas, and breads.
Amaranth Health Benefits
1. Amaranth is a Protein Powerhouse: Amaranth is made up of 13-14% protein, and it easily contains 30% more protein than other grains. Amaranth contains the important amino acid lysine, which is not found in many grains and is vital for building muscle protein and helping the body run.
2. Amaranth Contains More Fiber Than Any Other Gluten-Free Grain: One cup of amaranth contains 18g of fiber, more than any other gluten-free grain. In comparison, buckwheat and millet contain 17g and white rice contains 2.4g.
3. Amaranth May Lower LDL “Bad” Cholesterol Levels: Amaranth is one of the few grains that contain phytosterols, nutrients that play a major part in the prevention of many kinds of disease and may lower LDL cholesterol levels. University of Guelph researchers discovered that amaranth contains all three major phytosterols, which have cholesterol-lowering properties. These findings are published in the journal Plant Foods for Human Nutrition.
4. Amaranth Reduces Inflammation: A 2008 study published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry identified the presence of bioactive peptides in amaranth, which are compounds that protect against inflammation associated with chronic conditions like diabetes, heart disease, and cancer.
5. Amaranth is a Rich Source of Vitamins and Minerals: Amaranth is loaded with essential vitamins and minerals to keep your immune system strong and support your body's many functions. Amaranth boasts minerals like calcium, magnesium, zinc, potassium, and vitamins A, C, K, B5, B6, folate, and riboflavin.
6. Amaranth is Easy to Digest: Cooked amaranth is 90% digestible, making it easy on the digestive tract and also enabling your body to effectively use amaranth's rich source of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients.
It is best to store organic amaranth in a tightly sealed container, preferably a glass jar, in a cool, dark, dry location. Do not store organic amaranth in a cabinet near a stove, oven or dishwasher. If stored properly, organic amaranth can have a shelf life of up to one year.
Amaranth in Space
In 1985, Amaranth literally took off! This grain took a ride out of the Earth's atmosphere on US Space Shuttle Atlantis' maiden voyage. Astronauts conducted tests growing amaranth on space and ate amaranth cookies during their mission.
Amaranth in History
Amaranth was the favored grain of the Aztec empire where it was also used in religious ceremonies. The Aztecs would use amaranth to build statues of their religious deities, such as their hummingbird god. At the end of the celebrations, the statue would be broken down and eaten. Hoping to discourage Aztec religious practices, the Spanish conquistadors banned the cultivation of amaranth and it grew only as a weed for hundreds of years. Amaranth was re-discovered in the 1970 and its popularity resurged because of the grain's high nutritional content.
Leave online feedback and share your thoughts with other customers!
Jong , San Jose, CA February 16, 2014
“I love your organic amaranth! I enjoy it every morning, it smells good, and it seems that it digests well as I feel comfortable after having it. Thanks for providing this wonderful, historic, and nutritious grains for us.”
Angela, Dumfries, VA November 10, 2013
“Product is great! Amaranth is new for me so I'm still experimenting meals at this time. Packaging has a fun look which is awesome. Received package in a very short time frame.
Anthony, Framingham, MA November 6, 2013
“What a great company! I was informed my order would arrive on the 7th and it arrived a day earlier with a free sample of another item. Kudos to you, Nuts.com. I am sold as a customer.”
Antonio Faison, Burke, VA November 1, 2013
“Prior to venturing out for our morning walk, we noticed a box on the porch. Yes, my order of organic amaranth had arrived. In fact, it arrived one day after I placed the order. During the first day I was eager to try the seeds. I used them in my Fenugreek tea, vegetable soup, and garden salad. Later in the night I experienced a rush of energy - perhaps from the protein in the seeds. I really appreciate your attention to detail in the packaging. I also thank you for the bonus package of Quinoa. Even before I placed this initial order, I recommended you to a friend who could benefit from going organic.”
Donna, Sellersville, PA October 17, 2013
“I placed my order last night and was really happy to know it would be delivered in 2 days. I was bowled over to see my order on my porch this morning. Even though you are in New Jersey and I'm in Pennsylvania, I've NEVER had anything delivered that quickly, even from New Jersey.
Plus you are one of the few companies online that sell millet and aramanth at decent prices.
You are in my bookmarks for future orders.
mary, welcome, Maryland October 14, 2013
“received the amaranth today, tried it on a small scale and think I'm going to enjoy its interesting flavor mixed with my regular oats.”
Rachel D Donaldson, Kentucky, USA August 29, 2013
“This is my second order from Nuts.com and I was just as happy with my purchase this time as I was the first go 'round. I ordered some amaranth, buckwheat, and kamut and I look forward to getting more whole grains in my diet. I made buckwheat last night and it was quick and easy, I will be ordering again. Of course, I had to get some sweets, too, so I got some chocolate covered pecans and cherry coke gummies. And of course, nuts. I ordered some pecans, walnuts and black walnuts in the shell (they are really hard to find out of season around here) and look forward to eating those out of hand. Great stuff!”
Donna, Temecula, CA August 1, 2013
“Received my order today. Used one item, it is fresh! Love your website and products. Have recommended your company to family. Prices are good too. Love the colorful bags to store in.”
Kathleen, Stillwater, ok April 6, 2013
“First of all, shipping and delivery went faster than expected. 4 days sooner than expected. BIG PLUS THERE! Packaging was real good. No broken bags, and the box was cute. I ordered 5 different products, Amaranth being the one I was most interested in. Not knowing how much the grains would swell during cooking, if at all I only cooked just under 1/4 C. for breakfast after my morning walk. (Turned out to be just he right amount for me.) After it was finished cooking, I added a few raisins, and touch (not even 1/2 tsp. ) of honey... was so good! I like how it cooked up more grainy. Was afraid it was going to be more like ... cream of wheat, was a nice surprise to see it was not. looking forward to trying this so many other ways than as breakfast. Will be ordering much larger amounts soon. Have already recommended the company to a friend.”
Kathy, Faith, SouthDakota March 26, 2013
“We are SO impressed with your speed of delivery for one thing! And we are VERY impressed with our product we received..Amaranth seeds. We WILL be back to order more from you! Thank you so very much, Gordie and Kathy Collins, Faith,SD.”
Showing 1-10 of 45
Ana, St Louis, MO March 31, 2014
“The amaranth was promptly used to make cookies... and inhaled them. They are almost gone! The veggie chips.. well .. let me tell you that we got them on Friday and we barely have any and it is Monday. My husband, my 2 yo and myself loved them! THANK YOU!”
Serving Size 28g (~1 oz.)
(Approx. 16.2 Servings/Pound)
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories From Fat||15|
Packaged in the same facility as peanuts, tree nuts, soy, and milk products.
Country of Origin: India
|1 Pound Bags|
|5 Pound Bags|
|25 Pound Cases|