Our beloved grandfather, Poppy Sol, started this business in an open-air market. Three generations later, we’re still bringing smiles to our customers' faces.
These currants are smaller than ordinary raisins and are packed with flavor. Known as Zante currants, they are dried, seedless red grapes with a sweet and tangy taste. The rich flavor of currants is delicious in cakes, jams, and other dishes. A rich source of iron, antioxidants, and fiber, currants will give your diet a super nutritional boost.
Health Benefits of Currants
1) Nutritional Powerhouse - Zante currants are naturally low in sodium, fat-free and cholesterol-free, but provide an ample supply of vitamins and minerals. They boast high levels of iron, potassium, calcium, and B-complex vitamins. They are also a plentiful source of dietary fiber and antioxidants.
2) Lower Cholesterol Levels - Research suggests that including currants in your diet can reduce harmful cholesterol levels. These small raisins are a good source of soluble fiber, which can help regulate blood sugar levels and limit the amount of cholesterol absorbed into the bloodstream. A study from the University of Connecticut showed that participants lowered LDL cholesterol levels when they ate one cup of raisins per day and walked regularly.
3) Bone Health - It’s important to eat foods that will keep your bones strong and healthy. Zante currants are especially rich in a trace element called boron, which supports strong bones and improves healthy joint function. Studies suggest that including boron-rich foods as part of your diet can lower the risk for developing osteoporosis, an age-related disease that causes weak and fragile bones.
4) Vitamins for Eyes - UV ray exposure from sunlight causes a build-up of free radicals that can damage the eyes. The antioxidants in currants protect the eye’s retina by repairing damaged cells. Vitamin A and carotenoids also protect against age-related macular degeneration, an eye disease which causes vision loss and blindness.
5) Cavity-Fighter - Currants might be the only sweet treat that gets the approval of your dentist. These raisins are packed with compounds that fight oral bacteria, the cause for cavities, tooth decay, and periodontal disease. Research presented at the American Society for Microbiology found five different compounds naturally occurring in raisins that can protect teeth and gums.
Leave online feedback and share your thoughts with other customers!
Carla, New Lexington, Ohio December 5, 2013
“I am so happy to finally have currants in the pantry for my special recipes. They arrived awesomely packaged and they were fresh and plump. Nuts.com, thanks for your excellent customer service.”
Beverly C Floyd, Bronx, NY November 19, 2013
“Nuts.com -- you guys are AMAZING!! I placed an order online for two items late Sunday evening and I received that order in my hands Tuesday afternoon. THAT was super FAST!! And the order came complete with an additional gift item. Such a classy touch! I'm a very big fan now of your website company and will place online orders with you again....soon!! Many thanks.”
Mary Anne, Hope Hull, Alabama November 16, 2013
“My grandmother's applesauce cake recipe requires currants, it's just not the same without them. I can only find currants in this area right before Christmas, if I'm lucky. But I like to make the cake other times of the year. By chance I came upon your website and I am so glad!! My currants came in record time and they are very fresh. When I get ready to make my fruit cakes, I will be back to order again as it is hard to find the fruit that I need. My thanks to the nuts!!”
Irene, Davenport, Florida November 7, 2013
“Thank you all at Nuts.com your service was excellent and the dried fruit was with me in no time at all. I can now make my English rich fruit cake with the correct ingredients this year. Currants are very hard to find here in Florida! Thanks All.”
Nicola, Tampa, FL October 27, 2013
“Receiving my box of treats from Nuts.com made my day. If the design on the box doesn't make you smile nothing will! I bought currants so I could make English Christmas puddings. When I've bought these in the past from supermarkets the currants have always been totally dried out but the currants from nuts.com are plump and moist - far superior to the supermarket varieties. I highly recommend them - and nuts.com.”
wendy smith, ormond beach, florida October 17, 2013
“I've ordered from you three times now and every single time the fruit is perfect and delicious, thank you x”
James, New Castle, Kentucky September 25, 2013
“Local stores have very little stock of candied fruit and currents needed for older, traditional recipes for fruitcake and mincemeat. Nuts did have what I needed to finish my mincemeat and get it marinating! 3 day shipping is just fine for these things.”
maryann, henryetta, Oklahoma June 22, 2013
“great service got here 2 days before it was due. only place I could find currants. awesome company....Thank you, maryann”
Geni, Scottsdale, AZ June 17, 2013
“I can only say one thing...love it!!! Love the shipping container, too. Adorable!!”
Christine February 14, 2013
“Wow, what fast service! I was not able to find the Currants I needed at our local grocery stores - they are fantastic, so fresh and arrived very quickly. We enjoyed your packaging also! We are going to check out what else you have available and look forward to being a regular customer. Thank you.”
Showing 11-20 of 79
RACHEL, O Fallon, MO September 17, 2014
“OMG! No clue why I did not see these before. Love them-best ever and can not wait to bake with them. Fantastic find-thank you so much. Happy here:)”
Serving Size 50g (~1.8 oz.)
(Approx. 9.1 Servings/Pound)
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories From Fat||1|
Zante Currants (1/10th of 1% vegetable oil to prevent clumping)
Packaged in the same facility as peanuts, tree nuts, soy, and milk products.
Store open or closed under refrigeration for up to 1 year. This item can be frozen.
Country of Origin: United States
|1 Pound Bags|
|5 Pound Bags|
|30 Pound Cases|