Our beloved grandfather, Poppy Sol, started this business in an open-air market. Three generations later, we’re still bringing smiles to our customers' faces.
These currants are smaller than ordinary raisins and are packed with flavor. Known as Zante currants, they are dried, seedless red grapes with a sweet and tangy taste. The rich flavor of currants is delicious in cakes, jams, and other dishes. A rich source of iron, antioxidants, and fiber, currants will give your diet a super nutritional boost.
Health Benefits of Currants
1) Nutritional Powerhouse - Zante currants are naturally low in sodium, fat-free and cholesterol-free, but provide an ample supply of vitamins and minerals. They boast high levels of iron, potassium, calcium, and B-complex vitamins. They are also a plentiful source of dietary fiber and antioxidants.
2) Lower Cholesterol Levels - Research suggests that including currants in your diet can reduce harmful cholesterol levels. These small raisins are a good source of soluble fiber, which can help regulate blood sugar levels and limit the amount of cholesterol absorbed into the bloodstream. A study from the University of Connecticut showed that participants lowered LDL cholesterol levels when they ate one cup of raisins per day and walked regularly.
3) Bone Health - It’s important to eat foods that will keep your bones strong and healthy. Zante currants are especially rich in a trace element called boron, which supports strong bones and improves healthy joint function. Studies suggest that including boron-rich foods as part of your diet can lower the risk for developing osteoporosis, an age-related disease that causes weak and fragile bones.
4) Vitamins for Eyes - UV ray exposure from sunlight causes a build-up of free radicals that can damage the eyes. The antioxidants in currants protect the eye’s retina by repairing damaged cells. Vitamin A and carotenoids also protect against age-related macular degeneration, an eye disease which causes vision loss and blindness.
5) Cavity-Fighter - Currants might be the only sweet treat that gets the approval of your dentist. These raisins are packed with compounds that fight oral bacteria, the cause for cavities, tooth decay, and periodontal disease. Research presented at the American Society for Microbiology found five different compounds naturally occurring in raisins that can protect teeth and gums.
Leave online feedback and share your thoughts with other customers!
Wendy, Sandusky, OH September 5, 2014
“These arrived nice & plump! Much unlike the currents one finds at the grocery store.”
Lyn, Geneva, IL August 28, 2014
“The freshest I've ever puchased, arrived on time and in a decorated box that made me smile. They are some of the ingredients for my son's Wedding Cake, which with such fresh ingredients should be delicious, will definitely be ordering again and recommending you to others. Thank you also for the packet of Turkish Figs, a very tasty snack!”
Geni, Scottsdale, AZ August 22, 2014
“Love the currants they are great”
GREG, STILLWATER, OK - Oklahoma August 15, 2014
“Very fast shipping. Excellent zante currant product. They are great by themselves, in oatmeal, oatmeal cookies, etc.”
Hueichun, Hollis, NY August 8, 2014
“much better taste than expected”
Jeffrey, Cotuit, Massachusetts July 31, 2014
“The currants I ordered were delivered on time, and my brother liked the fruit very much...”
Justine, Lancaster, Ohio April 11, 2014
“My currants arrived today -- three days before I expected them! Loved your box and the terrific service. I'll be back.”
Debra, Poinciana, fl February 14, 2014
“I ordered Raisins, prunes, and currants for my West Indian fruit cake. I was totally satisfied with my order. I have never seen, or tasted, such moist and succulent dried fruit in my life.
From now on I will be shopping at Nuts.com.”
Natasha, Hagerstown, MD January 7, 2014
“Great fresh products at reasonable prices. This time I ordered my usual curry cashews, but added a few newbies like Dried Currants, Veggies chips (which I finished within 1 hour of opening the box!), and Hibiscus flowers. The shipping is always surprisingly fast.”
Elise, Tampa, FL December 6, 2013
“Welsh Currant Bread comes down from many generations of our family and is a Christmas tradition. Every year I go from store to store trying to find the currants with no luck until it's too late - this year I found them at Whole Foods but am glad to find out I can order direct from you. Why aren't they in stores year-round?”
Showing 1-10 of 79
RACHEL, O Fallon, MO September 17, 2014
“OMG! No clue why I did not see these before. Love them-best ever and can not wait to bake with them. Fantastic find-thank you so much. Happy here:)”
Serving Size 50g (~1.8 oz.)
(Approx. 9.1 Servings/Pound)
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories From Fat||1|
Zante Currants (1/10th of 1% vegetable oil to prevent clumping)
Packaged in the same facility as peanuts, tree nuts, soy, and milk products.
Store open or closed under refrigeration for up to 1 year. This item can be frozen.
Country of Origin: United States
|1 Pound Bags|
|5 Pound Bags|
|30 Pound Cases|