Our beloved grandfather, Poppy Sol, started this business in an open-air market. Three generations later, we’re still bringing smiles to our customers' faces.
Plums (No Pit) - Pitted Prunes
Delicious pitted prunes that contain no pits and are ideal for cooking and snacking. Not only do prunes taste great, but they're also very healthy - naturally fat free and high in potassium and fiber (4 grams of fiber per serving)! And these pitted prunes are so sweet, you'd never guess that these wrinkly treats have no sugar added!
Our premium quality pitted prunes start out with sweet plums picked off the tree at the peak of their ripeness. Then, during the drying process, our plums aren't completely dried out to make sure that they retain some moisture. This makes for juicy and sweet prunes, perfect as a quick snack and energy booster.
Fun with Prunes (Really!)
Dried plums are frequently eaten plain, straight out of the bag, but try these following ideas to mix up your prune-y routine!
Breakfast: Stir prunes into your morning oatmeal or blend them in your smoothie!
Side Dishes: Chopped up prunes are tasty in couscous or quinoa, and add a touch of texture and flavor. You can also wrap pitted prunes in prosciutto and bake for several minutes for a deceptively easy, but fancy, appetizer.
Meats: Marinade and roast any meat with prunes to retain the meat’s moisture and add a natural sweetness.
Dessert: Add chopped prunes to cakes and muffins for sweetness and texture, or stew prunes to make a sauce that complements everything from ice cream to shortcakes.
Health Benefits of Prunes
1. A serving of five dried plums provides 26 grams of carbohydrate and 13 grams of sugars, mainly glucose (about five grams) and fructose (about eight grams). There is very little sucrose (under one gram). In addition, a serving of dried plums also contains about 15 grams of the sugar alcohol sorbitol.
2. Dietary fiber is also classified as a type of plant carbohydrate that is not digested by humans. A serving of five dried plums provide three grams of dietary fiber. These carbohydrates including the sugars are "naturally occurring." There is no added sugar to dried plums.
3. Although dried plums contain carbohydrates, dried plums' main sugars are fructose, glucose and sorbitol. Dried plums have almost no sucrose. In addition, the dietary fiber in dried plums may help to modulate the body's uptake of sugar in dried plums. The differences in the sugar profiles and the fiber in dried plums may help explain the moderate GI index.
4. Dried plums are a source of dietary fiber, sorbitol, potassium, copper, boron and phenolic compounds which are active in a web of interrelated physiological and health promoting functions. Together these compounds help regulate glucose metabolism, promote cardiovascular health, are involved in bone metabolism, protect against cancer, and contribute to digestion. (M. Stacewicz-Sapuntzakis, PhD., P. Bowen, PhD., RD, University of Illinois Chicago Functional Foods for Health Program literature search. 1999.)
5. Dried plums completely stopped and were able to reverse bone loss in an animal model of ovarian deficiency (a model for post-menopausal osteoporosis). The mechanism responsible for this is not known. Some speculate the mechanism might be related to the phenolic compounds, sorbitol, boron or dried plum's ability to impact absorption of minerals. (B. Arjmandi, Ph.D., RD, Oklahoma State University, 1998.)
6. In an animal model using ovariectomzied rats, dried plums suppressed the rise in serum cholesterol without affecting HDL (good) cholesterol associated with the onset of menopause. At menopause, women's risk for coronary heart disease drastically increases due to ovarian hormone deficiency. Options for lowering cholesterol include a diet rich in plant fiber and other protective nutrients. (B. Arjmandi, Ph.D., RD, Oklahoma State University, 1998.)
Leave online feedback and share your thoughts with other customers!
Gias Ahmed, Bronx, NY December 17, 2013
“I really appreciate your product's quality. It's really delicious and delivered on time.”
Danisha, DFW, Texas November 14, 2013
“This was my first time ordering from this company and I can tell you that it won't be my last! The fruit was so fresh and moist. Better quality than I've ever seen in the store. I'm using the fruit to make Jamaican Black Cake and I cannot wait! You have a customer for life.”
JERRY, Kaunakakai, Hawaii October 11, 2013
“thanks so much for my order. it was delivered without any problems just as you promised. And the prunes are just what I ordered. Aloha and thanks again very much.”
Barbara, Columbia, MO August 30, 2013
“Fabulous prunes and excellent service. Thanks!”
Barbara, Columbia, MO August 22, 2013
“My order of the best prunes ever arrived in the cutest shipping carton ever. Thanks so much! ”
Shirley, Centreville, VA March 28, 2013
“Received my first order from you yesterday which was really very fast shipping! I love your packaging. It makes one smile before one even gets to the products. The English walnuts in the shell are great, the prunes are sweet and taste wonderful and the chocolate drops are just what I have been looking for for several years. They are just like the ones I remember as a kid. Thanks, too for the gift of dried apricots. These are good also. So glad I found your website.”
Sara, New York, NY January 21, 2013
“Just got my shipment of honey dates and prunes. The dates really do melt in your mouth! I love your little sample sizes, I was worried that they would be too small, but they are perfect for really getting a feel about whether I want to buy something in bulk later on. Thanks so much again, and please consider giving more options for the samples, there's more in your store I want to try but don't because it would be too much. ”
Roland, SF Bay Area, CA January 4, 2013
“Some of the tastiest dried fruit I have ever tested, which is only surpassed by the speed of delivery. ”
ctarmen, jackson hts., queens December 15, 2012
“All arrived the next day by ups. just love the color packaging. Taste of plums and figs are terrific. Continued success, you will always have me as a customer ”
robert, casa grande, az November 30, 2012
“Love the marketing and personal interaction. In my business we focus on extraordinary impressions. You made one with me.”
Showing 1-10 of 37
Jeff and Donna Wadel, Rich Hill, MO January 7, 2014
“Dear 'Nuts', I had searched everywhere looking for the really GOOD cinnamon bears, and found your website. After browsing around, I ended up with a 5 lb bag of bears AND 6 other items as well! We received our package yesterday and it didn't take long for everything to be opened and sampled! The bears were exactly what I was looking for, the figs were fantastic and the prunes so fresh my husband asked why I didn't get a 5 lb bag of those too! I was also happily surprised with the sample of cacao nibs! Your packaging is not to be overlooked either, you can't help but smile looking at it! Needless to say, I WILL be back again and again! Thank you!”
Serving Size 40g (~1.4 oz.)
(Approx. 11.4 Servings/Pound)
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories From Fat||0|
Plums, sulphur dioxide (may contain pits and/or pit fragments)
Packaged in the same facility as peanuts, tree nuts, soy, and milk products.
Approximately 45 pieces per pound.
Store open or closed under refrigeration for up to 1 year. This item can be frozen.
Country of Origin: United States
|1 Pound Bags|
|5 Pound Bags|
|25 Pound Cases|