Our beloved grandfather, Poppy Sol, started this business in an open-air market. Three generations later, we’re still bringing smiles to our customers' faces.
Sour (Tart) Cherries
Dried tart cherries are a sweet, tart, and flavorful treat that is great for snacking, cooking, and baking. Our delicious tart Montmorency cherries are rich in antioxidants and nutrients that support heart health and reduce inflammation. Try our sour cherries straight out of the bag, in trail mix, or in baked goods. These dried cherries are lightly sweetened.
Our Registered Dietitian's Top Pick
Our Registered Dietitian and Health Nut likes dried cherries because they are rich in quercetin, a powerful flavonoid that has been linked to reducing heart disease. Plus, thanks to their deep, dark color from antocyanins, they are linked to reducing inflammation in the body. Try adding in tart cherries to salads, trail mix, and granola.
Health Benefits of Tart Cherries
1. In addition to being rich in potassium, vitamin C, and B complex, research has shown that cherry consumption can help the body prevent heart disease and cancer, as well as provide pain relief and improved bone health. These health benefits are possible due to the antioxidants found in cherries, the most vital of which are the flavonoids anthocyanins and quercetin, and the phenolic acid amygdalin.
2. According to researchers, a flavonoid found in cherries that has anticarcinogenic properties called quercetin can help to prevent heart disease. Dried cherries are considered a nutritionally significant source of quercetin, containing large quantities per serving that surpass most fruits.
3. A phenolic acid called amygdalin, also termed Vitamin B17 and laetrile, found in the kernels of cherries and other fruits, has been shown to reduce tumor size and further spread of cancer, as well as to alleviate the pains of the cancerous process. Populations such as the Hunza in Pakistan that have always incorporated amygdalin into their diets have remained cancer free, leading scientists to believe that its consumption could also be a powerful cancer prevention food.
4. Anthocyanins found in dried sour cherries also block inflammatory enzymes, reducing pain. In fact, 20 cherries are 10 times as potent as aspirin and have positive effects on gout and arthritis pain.
5. Dried cherries are also considered to be excellent sources of boron, providing 396 ug/100g. Boron consumption, coupled with calcium and magnesium has been linked to increased bone health.
6. Tart cherries naturally pack a health-promoting punch that provides pain relief for many consumers. Ongoing research shows that Montmorency tart cherries are a rich source of antioxidants, including melatonin, which may help to relieve the pain of arthritis, gout, and possibly fibromyalgia. To date, no other fruit or vegetable has been found to have the pain relieving properties of tart cherries. In addition, the antioxidants in tart cherries can help fight cancer and heart disease.
7) If you're having trouble sleeping at night, eating a handful of tart cherries in the hours before bedtime can help. Researchers from Louisiana State University found that participants who drank Montmorency tart cherry juice twice a day for two weeks were able to sleep almost 90 minutes longer than the placebo group. The researchers suggest that the combination of melatonin and tryptophan found in cherries promotes a good night's sleep. They concluded that tart cherries are a safe alternative for insomniacs relying on sleeping pills.
Enjoy Tart Cherries
These sour cherries have an incredible sweet and tangy flavor that we like to enjoy by the handful. They add a delicious tart and fruity flavor to cookies, scones, breads, and other baked treats. Try them in granola and trail mix, or sprinkled over yogurt and oatmeal. Tart cherries go well paired with cheese, nuts, and other dried fruit. They also make an interesting addition to chicken salads, pasta salads, and vegetable dishes. Tart cherries are flavorful and versatile. We’re sure you’ll find many wonderful uses for them!
Leave online feedback and share your thoughts with other customers!
Marge, Wilsonville, OR October 6, 2014
“I don't know what to say because I have a mouth full of these little things. Wow, they are great! I put them in my smoothie in the morning and what flavor! I also love to eat them right out of the bag. Yum! Thanks.”
Brenda, Rowlett, TX October 3, 2014
“Not too sweet which is perfect.”
Janice, Panama City, FL October 2, 2014
“Delicious!! I ordered several items that I haven't had the opportunity to try yet, but the dried tart cherries are outstanding. Great packaging too!”
Cheryl, Palmetto, GA October 1, 2014
“Always fresh and delicious, always delivered on time and in good shape.”
Sarah, Magnolia, AR September 22, 2014
“Cherries are supposed to be good for arthritis. I eat a handful daily. Not sure if it works but it works for me because I like dried fruit.”
Jay, Wantagh, NY September 18, 2014
Shawn, Block Island, RI September 18, 2014
“Love! Great to add to your nutty trail mix!”
John, Hildebran, NC September 18, 2014
RACHEL, O Fallon, MO September 17, 2014
“I never use actual black raisins in anything. Instead I use Cherries in everything. Love them. Absolutely perfect as usual.”
Helene, Santa Fe, NM September 13, 2014
“Hello to everyone at Nuts.com !!
I received the order within a couple of days, cashews taste great, cherries taste great. And thank you for the little something extra in the box ( dried cranberries )
Will order more later. We appreciate your products.
Helene and Alex ( mote nuts fans... )”
Showing 1-10 of 116
Karen, Parkersburg, WV October 8, 2014
“Cherries are awesome too!”
Serving Size 40g (~1.4 oz.)
(Approx. 11.4 Servings/Pound)
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories From Fat||5|
Montmorency Cherries, sugar, sunflower oil (may contain an occasional pit fragments)
Packaged in the same facility as peanuts, tree nuts, soy, and milk products.
Approximately 375 pieces per pound.
Store open or closed under refrigeration for up to 1 year. This item can be frozen.
Country of Origin: United States
|1 Pound Bags|
|5 Pound Bags|
|10 Pound Cases|