Our beloved grandfather, Poppy Sol, started this business in an open-air market. Three generations later, we’re still bringing smiles to our customers' faces.
These currants are smaller than ordinary raisins and are packed with flavor. Known as Zante currants, they are dried, seedless red grapes with a sweet and tangy taste. The rich flavor of currants is delicious in cakes, jams, and other dishes. A rich source of iron, antioxidants, and fiber, currants will give your diet a super nutritional boost.
Health Benefits of Currants
1) Nutritional Powerhouse - Zante currants are naturally low in sodium, fat-free and cholesterol-free, but provide an ample supply of vitamins and minerals. They boast high levels of iron, potassium, calcium, and B-complex vitamins. They are also a plentiful source of dietary fiber and antioxidants.
2) Lower Cholesterol Levels - Research suggests that including currants in your diet can reduce harmful cholesterol levels. These small raisins are a good source of soluble fiber, which can help regulate blood sugar levels and limit the amount of cholesterol absorbed into the bloodstream. A study from the University of Connecticut showed that participants lowered LDL cholesterol levels when they ate one cup of raisins per day and walked regularly.
3) Bone Health - It’s important to eat foods that will keep your bones strong and healthy. Zante currants are especially rich in a trace element called boron, which supports strong bones and improves healthy joint function. Studies suggest that including boron-rich foods as part of your diet can lower the risk for developing osteoporosis, an age-related disease that causes weak and fragile bones.
4) Vitamins for Eyes - UV ray exposure from sunlight causes a build-up of free radicals that can damage the eyes. The antioxidants in currants protect the eye’s retina by repairing damaged cells. Vitamin A and carotenoids also protect against age-related macular degeneration, an eye disease which causes vision loss and blindness.
5) Cavity-Fighter - Currants might be the only sweet treat that gets the approval of your dentist. These raisins are packed with compounds that fight oral bacteria, the cause for cavities, tooth decay, and periodontal disease. Research presented at the American Society for Microbiology found five different compounds naturally occurring in raisins that can protect teeth and gums.
Leave online feedback and share your thoughts with other customers!
Paul, Roswell, NM January 31, 2010
“I baked some wonderful scones with your delicious currants today. Thanks for the perfect baking ingredient!”
Debra, Quakertown, Pa. January 15, 2010
“I am very impressed! I am sipping on the best tea I ever had as we speak! YUMMY is correct. Love the dried currants too. And got it so quickly! Thanks for your prompt service. I'll be back D.Dolan”
Peggy, Somers, Montana January 8, 2010
“My goodness, these nuts and dried fruits are fresh! Quality stuff.”
David, Orem, Ut December 1, 2009
“They have arrived and taste great. We can make the stollen bread that I have been craving.
Thanks for your promptness!!
Carol, Port St Lucie, Florida November 25, 2009
“My currants arrive right on time, and they look perfect. ”
Johnathan November 20, 2009
“Wow! I'm sitting here, munching on these DELICIOUS Organic Raw Cacao Goji Energy Squares (smart decision, putting them on top ;) while looking over my order. The dried fruit is amazingly moist and succulent. My entire family and I are about to recreate Emily Dickinson's Black Forest Cake from the 1800's... something our family has wanted to try for a very long time. Only not until NOW have we found dried fruit with quality acceptable enough to undertake such a grand adventure! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU NutsOnline Family!!! From the deepest part of our eagerly anticipating selves! (We'll let you know how it turns out...)
Gratitude for making our dream possible,
Johnathan Myers and Family”
Louis, Deming, NM October 19, 2009
“Outstanding product, outstanding service, outstanding price. I ordered this for a lady making homemade mincemeat. She is thrilled with everything and both of us will be back to order more items now that we know about you. Keep up the good work and continued success for the future.”
Stephney, dallas, ga August 5, 2009
“You guys are soooo funny. I have already bookmarked you so that I can order my currants from you all the time. I use them to bake Christmas fruit cakes every year, and I can't find them anywhere here in Georgia. I used to live in Ft Lauderdale, Fl. where they were much easier to find. They are a great price and it is a pleasure to shop with you. By the way, is there any way I can sell my cakes through you every year?”
Jean, Kissimmee, Florida July 22, 2009
“When living in England, I used to make delicious fruit cakes, and found the ingredients easy to find. However while I have been living in Florida, I have found that unless it is Christmas time, then such as currants, glazed red cherries, or glazed mixed peel are impossible to find!! My husband volunteered me to make an English-style wedding cake for our friends, and I have had a nightmare ever since finding the ingredients. Thank goodness he stumbled across Nuts Online, after spending numerous days scouring the internet. I found exactly what I wished for, and was advised they would be delivered five days later, of which they were. I could not believe the utmost freshness and quality that was contained in the packages, the best quality I have ever had. So much so, I am immediately ordering some more fruit, and I can be rest assured this is a very very reliable company to deal with. Thankyou!!”
Tammie, Sinclairville, NY July 16, 2009
“My order for dried currants arrived very quickly and was packed in a safe, yet environmentally friendly manner. Guess I'd better get busy making the family recipe for Welsh cookies that I needed them for. Thanks so much!”
Showing 61-70 of 79
RACHEL, O Fallon, MO September 17, 2014
“OMG! No clue why I did not see these before. Love them-best ever and can not wait to bake with them. Fantastic find-thank you so much. Happy here:)”
Serving Size 50g (~1.8 oz.)
(Approx. 9.1 Servings/Pound)
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories From Fat||1|
Zante Currants (1/10th of 1% vegetable oil to prevent clumping)
Packaged in the same facility as peanuts, tree nuts, soy, and milk products.
Store open or closed under refrigeration for up to 1 year. This item can be frozen.
Country of Origin: United States
|1 Pound Bags|
|5 Pound Bags|
|30 Pound Cases|