Our beloved grandfather, Poppy Sol, started this business in an open-air market. Three generations later, we’re still bringing smiles to our customers' faces.
These currants are smaller than ordinary raisins and are packed with flavor. Known as Zante currants, they are dried, seedless red grapes with a sweet and tangy taste. The rich flavor of currants is delicious in cakes, jams, and other dishes. A rich source of iron, antioxidants, and fiber, currants will give your diet a super nutritional boost.
Health Benefits of Currants
1) Nutritional Powerhouse - Zante currants are naturally low in sodium, fat-free and cholesterol-free, but provide an ample supply of vitamins and minerals. They boast high levels of iron, potassium, calcium, and B-complex vitamins. They are also a plentiful source of dietary fiber and antioxidants.
2) Lower Cholesterol Levels - Research suggests that including currants in your diet can reduce harmful cholesterol levels. These small raisins are a good source of soluble fiber, which can help regulate blood sugar levels and limit the amount of cholesterol absorbed into the bloodstream. A study from the University of Connecticut showed that participants lowered LDL cholesterol levels when they ate one cup of raisins per day and walked regularly.
3) Bone Health - It’s important to eat foods that will keep your bones strong and healthy. Zante currants are especially rich in a trace element called boron, which supports strong bones and improves healthy joint function. Studies suggest that including boron-rich foods as part of your diet can lower the risk for developing osteoporosis, an age-related disease that causes weak and fragile bones.
4) Vitamins for Eyes - UV ray exposure from sunlight causes a build-up of free radicals that can damage the eyes. The antioxidants in currants protect the eye’s retina by repairing damaged cells. Vitamin A and carotenoids also protect against age-related macular degeneration, an eye disease which causes vision loss and blindness.
5) Cavity-Fighter - Currants might be the only sweet treat that gets the approval of your dentist. These raisins are packed with compounds that fight oral bacteria, the cause for cavities, tooth decay, and periodontal disease. Research presented at the American Society for Microbiology found five different compounds naturally occurring in raisins that can protect teeth and gums.
Leave online feedback and share your thoughts with other customers!
wendy smith, ormond beach, florida October 17, 2013
“I've ordered from you three times now and every single time the fruit is perfect and delicious, thank you x”
James, New Castle, Kentucky September 25, 2013
“Local stores have very little stock of candied fruit and currents needed for older, traditional recipes for fruitcake and mincemeat. Nuts did have what I needed to finish my mincemeat and get it marinating! 3 day shipping is just fine for these things.”
maryann, henryetta, Oklahoma June 22, 2013
“great service got here 2 days before it was due. only place I could find currants. awesome company....Thank you, maryann”
Geni, Scottsdale, AZ June 17, 2013
“I can only say one thing...love it!!! Love the shipping container, too. Adorable!!”
Christine February 14, 2013
“Wow, what fast service! I was not able to find the Currants I needed at our local grocery stores - they are fantastic, so fresh and arrived very quickly. We enjoyed your packaging also! We are going to check out what else you have available and look forward to being a regular customer. Thank you.”
brandye, Davenport, Iowa February 14, 2013
“Very happy with my nuts.com order! I made orders from 5 companies on the same day, and the nuts order made it here at least 2 days ahead of the rest!
Love love love the banana chips, currants, pepitas, and turkish figs - my favorites out of the bunch. And a big thanks for the free Valentines day gift of chocolate covered dried strawberries - they are a big hit with everyone here! I will be ordering again, soon. ”
Maureen, Burneyville, Oklahoma February 10, 2013
“So pleased with prompt and courteous service. Also best web site I have ever used for nuts and baking goods. Won't be shopping anywhere else. Thank you.”
patty , ashland, ky January 25, 2013
“Thanks for the great order. I now know where to find currants for my tarts. It has been a pleasure to deal with your company and will in the future. ”
Tara garland, Talking rock, ga January 18, 2013
“Our entire family loves your company. Thank you for quality products, excellent prices and speedy delivery. Thank you to the family of nuts from our nutty family:)”
David, Ellsworth, Nebraska December 21, 2012
“Thanks for the great nuts, super rasins, and glaced fruit. It takes your products to make Holiday baking stand out above all! Thanks for the speedy ship and I wish you the very best the Christmas Season can offer! ”
Showing 21-30 of 84
Kathleen, Jamestown, RI October 17, 2014
“Baked with these before and they are super. So delicious.”
Serving Size 50g (~1.8 oz.)
(Approx. 9.1 Servings/Pound)
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories From Fat||1|
Zante Currants (1/10th of 1% vegetable oil to prevent clumping)
Packaged in the same facility as peanuts, tree nuts, soy, and milk products.
Store open or closed under refrigeration for up to 1 year. This item can be frozen.
Country of Origin: United States
|1 Pound Bags|
|5 Pound Bags|
|30 Pound Cases|