Our beloved grandfather, Poppy Sol, started this business in an open-air market. Three generations later, we’re still bringing smiles to our customers' faces.
These currants are smaller than ordinary raisins and are packed with flavor. Known as Zante currants, they are dried, seedless red grapes with a sweet and tangy taste. The rich flavor of currants is delicious in cakes, jams, and other dishes. A rich source of iron, antioxidants, and fiber, currants will give your diet a super nutritional boost.
Health Benefits of Currants
1) Nutritional Powerhouse - Zante currants are naturally low in sodium, fat-free and cholesterol-free, but provide an ample supply of vitamins and minerals. They boast high levels of iron, potassium, calcium, and B-complex vitamins. They are also a plentiful source of dietary fiber and antioxidants.
2) Lower Cholesterol Levels - Research suggests that including currants in your diet can reduce harmful cholesterol levels. These small raisins are a good source of soluble fiber, which can help regulate blood sugar levels and limit the amount of cholesterol absorbed into the bloodstream. A study from the University of Connecticut showed that participants lowered LDL cholesterol levels when they ate one cup of raisins per day and walked regularly.
3) Bone Health - It’s important to eat foods that will keep your bones strong and healthy. Zante currants are especially rich in a trace element called boron, which supports strong bones and improves healthy joint function. Studies suggest that including boron-rich foods as part of your diet can lower the risk for developing osteoporosis, an age-related disease that causes weak and fragile bones.
4) Vitamins for Eyes - UV ray exposure from sunlight causes a build-up of free radicals that can damage the eyes. The antioxidants in currants protect the eye’s retina by repairing damaged cells. Vitamin A and carotenoids also protect against age-related macular degeneration, an eye disease which causes vision loss and blindness.
5) Cavity-Fighter - Currants might be the only sweet treat that gets the approval of your dentist. These raisins are packed with compounds that fight oral bacteria, the cause for cavities, tooth decay, and periodontal disease. Research presented at the American Society for Microbiology found five different compounds naturally occurring in raisins that can protect teeth and gums.
Leave online feedback and share your thoughts with other customers!
brandye, Davenport, Iowa February 14, 2013
“Very happy with my nuts.com order! I made orders from 5 companies on the same day, and the nuts order made it here at least 2 days ahead of the rest!
Love love love the banana chips, currants, pepitas, and turkish figs - my favorites out of the bunch. And a big thanks for the free Valentines day gift of chocolate covered dried strawberries - they are a big hit with everyone here! I will be ordering again, soon. ”
Maureen, Burneyville, Oklahoma February 10, 2013
“So pleased with prompt and courteous service. Also best web site I have ever used for nuts and baking goods. Won't be shopping anywhere else. Thank you.”
patty , ashland, ky January 25, 2013
“Thanks for the great order. I now know where to find currants for my tarts. It has been a pleasure to deal with your company and will in the future. ”
Tara garland, Talking rock, ga January 18, 2013
“Our entire family loves your company. Thank you for quality products, excellent prices and speedy delivery. Thank you to the family of nuts from our nutty family:)”
David, Ellsworth, Nebraska December 21, 2012
“Thanks for the great nuts, super rasins, and glaced fruit. It takes your products to make Holiday baking stand out above all! Thanks for the speedy ship and I wish you the very best the Christmas Season can offer! ”
Kate, Austin, TX December 15, 2012
“I ordered 27 pounds of assorted dried fruit from Nuts.com for this year's Christmas fruitcakes, and I have been blown away by the ease, speed, and quality of my order. This is good fruit at good prices, and it shipped fast and hassle-free. I'll be ordering again next year!”
Jean, Deforest, Wisconsin December 13, 2012
“Loved the fun box and packaging everything came in. The currants are very tasty, can't wait to try the rest! Thank you!”
Gwyneth , Indialantic, FL December 12, 2012
“Delivered on time and great product!”
John, Fort Madison, Iowa December 3, 2012
“The most fantastic shipping schedule I have ever witnessed. Almost got here before I ordered it. Thank you!! I hope to do business with you again. ”
Steven, Eagan, MN November 23, 2012
“Another great order! Terrific chocolate hazelnut coffee! The currants are super delicious and make a great addition to the 10 grain cereal. The dark chocolate covered hazelnuts taste amazing. Thank you for the sample of dark chocolate almonds, that was a pleasant surprise.”
Showing 21-30 of 79
RACHEL, O Fallon, MO September 17, 2014
“OMG! No clue why I did not see these before. Love them-best ever and can not wait to bake with them. Fantastic find-thank you so much. Happy here:)”
Serving Size 50g (~1.8 oz.)
(Approx. 9.1 Servings/Pound)
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories From Fat||1|
Zante Currants (1/10th of 1% vegetable oil to prevent clumping)
Packaged in the same facility as peanuts, tree nuts, soy, and milk products.
Store open or closed under refrigeration for up to 1 year. This item can be frozen.
Country of Origin: United States
|1 Pound Bags|
|5 Pound Bags|
|30 Pound Cases|