Our beloved grandfather, Poppy Sol, started this business in an open-air market. Three generations later, we’re still bringing smiles to our customers' faces.
Plums (No Pit) - Pitted Prunes
Delicious pitted prunes that contain no pits and are ideal for cooking and snacking. Not only do prunes taste great, but they're also very healthy - naturally fat free and high in potassium and fiber (4 grams of fiber per serving)! And these pitted prunes are so sweet, you'd never guess that these wrinkly treats have no sugar added!
Our premium quality pitted prunes start out with sweet plums picked off the tree at the peak of their ripeness. Then, during the drying process, our plums aren't completely dried out to make sure that they retain some moisture. This makes for juicy and sweet prunes, perfect as a quick snack and energy booster.
Fun with Prunes (Really!)
Dried plums are frequently eaten plain, straight out of the bag, but try these following ideas to mix up your prune-y routine!
Breakfast: Stir prunes into your morning oatmeal or blend them in your smoothie!
Side Dishes: Chopped up prunes are tasty in couscous or quinoa, and add a touch of texture and flavor. You can also wrap pitted prunes in prosciutto and bake for several minutes for a deceptively easy, but fancy, appetizer.
Meats: Marinade and roast any meat with prunes to retain the meat’s moisture and add a natural sweetness.
Dessert: Add chopped prunes to cakes and muffins for sweetness and texture, or stew prunes to make a sauce that complements everything from ice cream to shortcakes.
Health Benefits of Prunes
1. A serving of five dried plums provides 26 grams of carbohydrate and 13 grams of sugars, mainly glucose (about five grams) and fructose (about eight grams). There is very little sucrose (under one gram). In addition, a serving of dried plums also contains about 15 grams of the sugar alcohol sorbitol.
2. Dietary fiber is also classified as a type of plant carbohydrate that is not digested by humans. A serving of five dried plums provide three grams of dietary fiber. These carbohydrates including the sugars are "naturally occurring." There is no added sugar to dried plums.
3. Although dried plums contain carbohydrates, dried plums' main sugars are fructose, glucose and sorbitol. Dried plums have almost no sucrose. In addition, the dietary fiber in dried plums may help to modulate the body's uptake of sugar in dried plums. The differences in the sugar profiles and the fiber in dried plums may help explain the moderate GI index.
4. Dried plums are a source of dietary fiber, sorbitol, potassium, copper, boron and phenolic compounds which are active in a web of interrelated physiological and health promoting functions. Together these compounds help regulate glucose metabolism, promote cardiovascular health, are involved in bone metabolism, protect against cancer, and contribute to digestion. (M. Stacewicz-Sapuntzakis, PhD., P. Bowen, PhD., RD, University of Illinois Chicago Functional Foods for Health Program literature search. 1999.)
5. Dried plums completely stopped and were able to reverse bone loss in an animal model of ovarian deficiency (a model for post-menopausal osteoporosis). The mechanism responsible for this is not known. Some speculate the mechanism might be related to the phenolic compounds, sorbitol, boron or dried plum's ability to impact absorption of minerals. (B. Arjmandi, Ph.D., RD, Oklahoma State University, 1998.)
6. In an animal model using ovariectomzied rats, dried plums suppressed the rise in serum cholesterol without affecting HDL (good) cholesterol associated with the onset of menopause. At menopause, women's risk for coronary heart disease drastically increases due to ovarian hormone deficiency. Options for lowering cholesterol include a diet rich in plant fiber and other protective nutrients. (B. Arjmandi, Ph.D., RD, Oklahoma State University, 1998.)
Leave online feedback and share your thoughts with other customers!
Carol, Boston, MA June 1, 2011
“I'm not really into prunes but these are so tasty, and moist. The freshness of these prunes is remarkable will be ordering again.”
Tom, NJ May 16, 2011
“Great products, good prices and delivered almost before I order. Nutsonline has better products than any store I visit. They have consistently delivered good service.”
Hal, Yakima, Washington May 13, 2011
“I am most impressed with the products I have ordered from *nutsonline*. Some have become, and will continue to be, regular and frequent purchases. I wish I had known of this site much sooner.”
JOHN, EGG HARBOR TWP, New Jersey April 20, 2011
“fast shipping, easy to buy from :o)”
Bethlyn March 28, 2011
“This was my 1st order and will certainly not be my last. The quality and freshness were unsurpassed. Thank you so much for your attention to your product.”
Melly, Fort Lauderdale, fl March 26, 2011
“OMG!!! I opened my email to find a funny note stating my order was delivered. I didn't hear the delivery guy so I opened my door and YAY!! My box was there. I ripped it open and tried the dried plums and dates and all I kept saying was "Mmmm"!! Seriously.. I just tried the gummies and other goodies.. I have my healthy snack for the movies today!! You guys rock! The prices rock! I'm sending my peers to your site. Thank you my Nutty friends! Let's just say... You had me at hello! ”
Ute, Miami Beach, FL March 23, 2011
“These prunes are plump, sweet and moist. Can't find them like this at the grocery store. I like to stew them briefly the night before, then spread them on my English muffin in lieu of jelly. By morning, they'll have soaked up the water and spread like preserves. No added sugar needed!”
John, Union Dale, PA December 14, 2010
“Hello Nut', my package arrives safely and timely. I will be making "Sugar plums" that is a very old recipe from the UK.
Thank you so much.
And a "very" Happy" Holiday" Season"
To all you Nuts
Jacqueline, Bronx, New York October 26, 2010
“The dried plums were awesome--I think I could have eaten a third of the bag immedialtely. The salted cashew were delicious I will be ording again real soon”
Lynn, Coconut Creek, FL October 12, 2010
“I found your site as I was wanting good raisins but I tried some of your other products and have now ordered three times in two weeks! I just love what your plums and apricots. They are the best I have had.
Thanks for the quality, shipping detail and quick delivery. You have a customer for life.”
Showing 21-30 of 38
Kathleen, Brooklyn, NY September 3, 2014
“These are wonderfully sweet and juicy. This will be a regular in my orders in future. Thank you.”
Serving Size 40g (~1.4 oz.)
(Approx. 11.4 Servings/Pound)
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories From Fat||0|
Plums, sulphur dioxide (may contain pits and/or pit fragments)
Packaged in the same facility as peanuts, tree nuts, soy, and milk products.
Approximately 45 pieces per pound.
Store open or closed under refrigeration for up to 1 year. This item can be frozen.
Country of Origin: United States
|1 Pound Bags|
|5 Pound Bags|
|25 Pound Cases|