Our beloved grandfather, Poppy Sol, started this business in an open-air market. Three generations later, we’re still bringing smiles to our customers' faces.
Plums (No Pit) - Pitted Prunes
Delicious pitted prunes that contain no pits and are ideal for cooking and snacking. Not only do prunes taste great, but they're also very healthy - naturally fat free and high in potassium and fiber (4 grams of fiber per serving)! And these pitted prunes are so sweet, you'd never guess that these wrinkly treats have no sugar added!
Our premium quality pitted prunes start out with sweet plums picked off the tree at the peak of their ripeness. Then, during the drying process, our plums aren't completely dried out to make sure that they retain some moisture. This makes for juicy and sweet prunes, perfect as a quick snack and energy booster.
Fun with Prunes (Really!)
Dried plums are frequently eaten plain, straight out of the bag, but try these following ideas to mix up your prune-y routine!
Breakfast: Stir prunes into your morning oatmeal or blend them in your smoothie!
Side Dishes: Chopped up prunes are tasty in couscous or quinoa, and add a touch of texture and flavor. You can also wrap pitted prunes in prosciutto and bake for several minutes for a deceptively easy, but fancy, appetizer.
Meats: Marinade and roast any meat with prunes to retain the meat’s moisture and add a natural sweetness.
Dessert: Add chopped prunes to cakes and muffins for sweetness and texture, or stew prunes to make a sauce that complements everything from ice cream to shortcakes.
Health Benefits of Prunes
1. A serving of five dried plums provides 26 grams of carbohydrate and 13 grams of sugars, mainly glucose (about five grams) and fructose (about eight grams). There is very little sucrose (under one gram). In addition, a serving of dried plums also contains about 15 grams of the sugar alcohol sorbitol.
2. Dietary fiber is also classified as a type of plant carbohydrate that is not digested by humans. A serving of five dried plums provide three grams of dietary fiber. These carbohydrates including the sugars are "naturally occurring." There is no added sugar to dried plums.
3. Although dried plums contain carbohydrates, dried plums' main sugars are fructose, glucose and sorbitol. Dried plums have almost no sucrose. In addition, the dietary fiber in dried plums may help to modulate the body's uptake of sugar in dried plums. The differences in the sugar profiles and the fiber in dried plums may help explain the moderate GI index.
4. Dried plums are a source of dietary fiber, sorbitol, potassium, copper, boron and phenolic compounds which are active in a web of interrelated physiological and health promoting functions. Together these compounds help regulate glucose metabolism, promote cardiovascular health, are involved in bone metabolism, protect against cancer, and contribute to digestion. (M. Stacewicz-Sapuntzakis, PhD., P. Bowen, PhD., RD, University of Illinois Chicago Functional Foods for Health Program literature search. 1999.)
5. Dried plums completely stopped and were able to reverse bone loss in an animal model of ovarian deficiency (a model for post-menopausal osteoporosis). The mechanism responsible for this is not known. Some speculate the mechanism might be related to the phenolic compounds, sorbitol, boron or dried plum's ability to impact absorption of minerals. (B. Arjmandi, Ph.D., RD, Oklahoma State University, 1998.)
6. In an animal model using ovariectomzied rats, dried plums suppressed the rise in serum cholesterol without affecting HDL (good) cholesterol associated with the onset of menopause. At menopause, women's risk for coronary heart disease drastically increases due to ovarian hormone deficiency. Options for lowering cholesterol include a diet rich in plant fiber and other protective nutrients. (B. Arjmandi, Ph.D., RD, Oklahoma State University, 1998.)
Leave online feedback and share your thoughts with other customers!
Ana, Miami, Fl August 10, 2012
“Thank you for the amazing cashews, pistachios, sun-dried tomatoes, almond flour, dried plums, and more! Your order got the exact time you said it would and the box was super cute! Loved the complimentary little package of almonds! :) The nuts and plums tasted amazing, and I absolutely FELL IN LOVE with your sun-dried tomatoes!! Will be ordering another batch of everything very soon. Excellent service and amazing products, keep it up!”
Pat, Abilene, Texas March 23, 2012
“Always top-quality, fresh items and the variety is awesome! Enjoy trying something new every order and the shipping is aways quick. Thanks!”
Zeke, Duxbury, VT January 28, 2012
“Received my order in 27 hours and the quality and packaging is top notch. ”
Zppy, Detroit, MI January 13, 2012
“i loved the fast delivery, the fun packaging.. the prunes are the most delicious prunes i have ever eaten..yummy!!! and thank you for throwing in the goji berries.. i did not even know what those are but deliriously pleased.... YUM!... you are nutty people alright!! will be back!”
I. N. S. H., MD December 1, 2011
“Last night I ordered dried fruits to make a Christmas cake. The order was placed at 8:30 pm and the delivery man rang my doorbell at 11:30 am THE VERY NEXT DAY! I am very impressed by the speedy delivery and the delicious products! (Buy the dark chocolate covered raisins; they are perfect-- not too sweet chocolate outside and moist chewy raisins inside!)”
Nice September 23, 2011
“Delivery was so fast and everything was fresh and delicious. I ordered veggie chips, prunes, taffy, sunflower seeds, jerky, phillipine mango and root beer barrels. So yummy! Thanks for the free sample of berries too! I'll be back!”
Irene, Louisville, Kentucky September 21, 2011
“The service GREAT ! ! Shipped in a very timely manner. Wonderful service will continue to order from you. Thank You :)”
david brandom, joliet,il., 60435 July 15, 2011
“i got the shipment its all great i thank you and your family for everything may GOD bless you and your family”
Carol, Somerville, NJ June 7, 2011
“The 1st order I placed was about a year ago. I believe this is my 3rd order from the "Nuts":-) Before I could turn around my order arrived!! Last time I got a sample pack of the dried strawberries and put them in the 'fridge; um, um, just one satisfied my craving for something sweet. I did the same with the Plums and they were delicious cold!! I have been very satisfied with everything I have ordered. I'm ordering (3) new items today and can hardly wait to get them as I know they will meet my expectations. Thanks to all the "Nuts Family" and keep up the good work:-) ”
Carol, Boston, MA June 1, 2011
“I'm not really into prunes but these are so tasty, and moist. The freshness of these prunes is remarkable will be ordering again.”
Showing 11-20 of 37
Jeff and Donna Wadel, Rich Hill, MO January 7, 2014
“Dear 'Nuts', I had searched everywhere looking for the really GOOD cinnamon bears, and found your website. After browsing around, I ended up with a 5 lb bag of bears AND 6 other items as well! We received our package yesterday and it didn't take long for everything to be opened and sampled! The bears were exactly what I was looking for, the figs were fantastic and the prunes so fresh my husband asked why I didn't get a 5 lb bag of those too! I was also happily surprised with the sample of cacao nibs! Your packaging is not to be overlooked either, you can't help but smile looking at it! Needless to say, I WILL be back again and again! Thank you!”
Serving Size 40g (~1.4 oz.)
(Approx. 11.4 Servings/Pound)
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories From Fat||0|
Plums, sulphur dioxide (may contain pits and/or pit fragments)
Packaged in the same facility as peanuts, tree nuts, soy, and milk products.
Approximately 45 pieces per pound.
Store open or closed under refrigeration for up to 1 year. This item can be frozen.
Country of Origin: United States
|1 Pound Bags|
|5 Pound Bags|
|25 Pound Cases|