Our beloved grandfather, Poppy Sol, started this business in an open-air market. Three generations later, we’re still bringing smiles to our customers' faces.
Sour (Tart) Cherries
Dried tart cherries are a sweet, tart, and flavorful treat that is great for snacking, cooking, and baking. Our delicious tart Montmorency cherries are rich in antioxidants and nutrients that support heart health and reduce inflammation. Try our sour cherries straight out of the bag, in trail mix, or in baked goods. These dried cherries are lightly sweetened.
Our Registered Dietitian's Top Pick
Our Registered Dietitian and Health Nut likes dried cherries because they are rich in quercetin, a powerful flavonoid that has been linked to reducing heart disease. Plus, thanks to their deep, dark color from antocyanins, they are linked to reducing inflammation in the body. Try adding in tart cherries to salads, trail mix, and granola.
Health Benefits of Tart Cherries
1. In addition to being rich in potassium, vitamin C, and B complex, research has shown that cherry consumption can help the body prevent heart disease and cancer, as well as provide pain relief and improved bone health. These health benefits are possible due to the antioxidants found in cherries, the most vital of which are the flavonoids anthocyanins and quercetin, and the phenolic acid amygdalin.
2. According to researchers, a flavonoid found in cherries that has anticarcinogenic properties called quercetin can help to prevent heart disease. Dried cherries are considered a nutritionally significant source of quercetin, containing large quantities per serving that surpass most fruits.
3. A phenolic acid called amygdalin, also termed Vitamin B17 and laetrile, found in the kernels of cherries and other fruits, has been shown to reduce tumor size and further spread of cancer, as well as to alleviate the pains of the cancerous process. Populations such as the Hunza in Pakistan that have always incorporated amygdalin into their diets have remained cancer free, leading scientists to believe that its consumption could also be a powerful cancer prevention food.
4. Anthocyanins found in dried sour cherries also block inflammatory enzymes, reducing pain. In fact, 20 cherries are 10 times as potent as aspirin and have positive effects on gout and arthritis pain.
5. Dried cherries are also considered to be excellent sources of boron, providing 396 ug/100g. Boron consumption, coupled with calcium and magnesium has been linked to increased bone health.
6. Tart cherries naturally pack a health-promoting punch that provides pain relief for many consumers. Ongoing research shows that Montmorency tart cherries are a rich source of antioxidants, including melatonin, which may help to relieve the pain of arthritis, gout, and possibly fibromyalgia. To date, no other fruit or vegetable has been found to have the pain relieving properties of tart cherries. In addition, the antioxidants in tart cherries can help fight cancer and heart disease.
7) If you're having trouble sleeping at night, eating a handful of tart cherries in the hours before bedtime can help. Researchers from Louisiana State University found that participants who drank Montmorency tart cherry juice twice a day for two weeks were able to sleep almost 90 minutes longer than the placebo group. The researchers suggest that the combination of melatonin and tryptophan found in cherries promotes a good night's sleep. They concluded that tart cherries are a safe alternative for insomniacs relying on sleeping pills.
Enjoy Tart Cherries
These sour cherries have an incredible sweet and tangy flavor that we like to enjoy by the handful. They add a delicious tart and fruity flavor to cookies, scones, breads, and other baked treats. Try them in granola and trail mix, or sprinkled over yogurt and oatmeal. Tart cherries go well paired with cheese, nuts, and other dried fruit. They also make an interesting addition to chicken salads, pasta salads, and vegetable dishes. Tart cherries are flavorful and versatile. We’re sure you’ll find many wonderful uses for them!
Leave online feedback and share your thoughts with other customers!
Donna, Memphis, TN July 11, 2008
“Wow! You folks are fast! So happy I found you on line. Received my order yesterday and used the dried cherries in last night's salad and the dried cranberries in a delicious pan sauce for pan-fried chicken breasts. Delicious! I have never tasted any dried fruits as good and fresh-tasting as yours. Thank you, thank you.”
Lauren, Villanova, Pennsylvania June 10, 2008
“Dear Nuts Online Family: I just received my 10 pounds of dried cherries and they are great! I am kind of addicted to them and tired of paying high prices at stores for minuscule amounts. Keep up the quality and I will be a loyal customer! THANKS FOR A PLUMP AND TASTY PRODUCT!!! LH from Villanova ”
Erol, Sarasota, Florida June 10, 2008
“Thank you all. The package has safely arrived. Sour Cherries are delightful, and delicious. Best regards.
Robin, Minneapolis, Minnesota April 4, 2008
“Yum-ola ... these tart cherries are my "cup of tea". These make a great, healthy snack. They are plump and delicious. My mother used to take me to a cafeteria for tart cherry pie. This is healthier and delicious. I'm anxious to try the milk chocolate covered pastel bing cherries I just ordered. All the snacks ... the whole inventory really ... is delicious.
Robin from Minneapolis”
Donna, Painesville, Ohio March 7, 2008
“Just received my monthly supply of banana chips, which are always wonderful. This time I ordered the Mixed Fruit and I have to say the fruit is so fresh and very tasty. I also got the Sour Cherries on a whim and cannot get enough of them. Thanks Nuts on line !! Great Job !!! Donna ”
David, Indianapolis, IN September 18, 2007
“Delicious! Highly recommended!”
sharon, Baltimore, Md November 24, 2006
“These are the best dried sour cherries.
I've tried other fruit & nut suppliers, but nothing can compare with the taste and quality of these sour cherries.”
L.A.C. November 11, 2003
“Thank you for your prompt responses and great service! Received the cherries as you said, Wednesday, and will be able to make a special dessert for a friend's wedding reception as I told her I would. You made us all happy! Will look forward to using your company again! Thanks so much!
“I just received my order and I have to let you know that I am sooo enjoying these snacks. I bought the wasabi peas, banana chips, soybeans, and cherries. They are all truly delicious! All the natural flavors come through, it isn't like anything you could buy in a store. I am very pleased. How about making wasabi soybeans? Yummy!”
Showing 81-90 of 90
Jack, Hollywood, CA April 13, 2014
“These cherries rock! I added them to my 'trail mix' and it was an instant upgrade. I hate raisins and cranberries after a while, These cherries are a welcomed relief!
So glad I found this company. I'm stocking up for a month long JMT trek this summer...I'm going to be eating like a king thanks to these guys!”
Serving Size 40g (~1.4 oz.)
(Approx. 11.4 Servings/Pound)
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories From Fat||5|
Montmorency Cherries, sugar, sunflower oil (may contain an occasional pit fragments)
Packaged in the same facility as peanuts, tree nuts, soy, and milk products.
Approximately 375 pieces per pound.
Store open or closed under refrigeration for up to 1 year. This item can be frozen.
Country of Origin: United States
|1 Pound Bags|
|5 Pound Bags|
|10 Pound Cases|