Our beloved grandfather, Poppy Sol, started this business in an open-air market. Three generations later, we’re still bringing smiles to our customers' faces.
Sour (Tart) Cherries
Dried tart cherries are a sweet, tart, and flavorful treat that is great for snacking, cooking, and baking. Our delicious tart Montmorency cherries are rich in antioxidants and nutrients that support heart health and reduce inflammation. Try our sour cherries straight out of the bag, in trail mix, or in baked goods. These dried cherries are lightly sweetened.
Our Registered Dietitian's Top Pick
Our Registered Dietitian and Health Nut likes dried cherries because they are rich in quercetin, a powerful flavonoid that has been linked to reducing heart disease. Plus, thanks to their deep, dark color from antocyanins, they are linked to reducing inflammation in the body. Try adding in tart cherries to salads, trail mix, and granola.
Health Benefits of Tart Cherries
1. In addition to being rich in potassium, vitamin C, and B complex, research has shown that cherry consumption can help the body prevent heart disease and cancer, as well as provide pain relief and improved bone health. These health benefits are possible due to the antioxidants found in cherries, the most vital of which are the flavonoids anthocyanins and quercetin, and the phenolic acid amygdalin.
2. According to researchers, a flavonoid found in cherries that has anticarcinogenic properties called quercetin can help to prevent heart disease. Dried cherries are considered a nutritionally significant source of quercetin, containing large quantities per serving that surpass most fruits.
3. A phenolic acid called amygdalin, also termed Vitamin B17 and laetrile, found in the kernels of cherries and other fruits, has been shown to reduce tumor size and further spread of cancer, as well as to alleviate the pains of the cancerous process. Populations such as the Hunza in Pakistan that have always incorporated amygdalin into their diets have remained cancer free, leading scientists to believe that its consumption could also be a powerful cancer prevention food.
4. Anthocyanins found in dried sour cherries also block inflammatory enzymes, reducing pain. In fact, 20 cherries are 10 times as potent as aspirin and have positive effects on gout and arthritis pain.
5. Dried cherries are also considered to be excellent sources of boron, providing 396 ug/100g. Boron consumption, coupled with calcium and magnesium has been linked to increased bone health.
6. Tart cherries naturally pack a health-promoting punch that provides pain relief for many consumers. Ongoing research shows that Montmorency tart cherries are a rich source of antioxidants, including melatonin, which may help to relieve the pain of arthritis, gout, and possibly fibromyalgia. To date, no other fruit or vegetable has been found to have the pain relieving properties of tart cherries. In addition, the antioxidants in tart cherries can help fight cancer and heart disease.
7) If you're having trouble sleeping at night, eating a handful of tart cherries in the hours before bedtime can help. Researchers from Louisiana State University found that participants who drank Montmorency tart cherry juice twice a day for two weeks were able to sleep almost 90 minutes longer than the placebo group. The researchers suggest that the combination of melatonin and tryptophan found in cherries promotes a good night's sleep. They concluded that tart cherries are a safe alternative for insomniacs relying on sleeping pills.
Enjoy Tart Cherries
These sour cherries have an incredible sweet and tangy flavor that we like to enjoy by the handful. They add a delicious tart and fruity flavor to cookies, scones, breads, and other baked treats. Try them in granola and trail mix, or sprinkled over yogurt and oatmeal. Tart cherries go well paired with cheese, nuts, and other dried fruit. They also make an interesting addition to chicken salads, pasta salads, and vegetable dishes. Tart cherries are flavorful and versatile. We’re sure you’ll find many wonderful uses for them!
Leave online feedback and share your thoughts with other customers!
RLB, Vegas December 4, 2009
“Wonderful! We use them in scones, snack mixes and straight out of the bag. Such a fresh flavor and so big a luscious! Rocking fruit! ”
marcia, englewood, nj December 4, 2009
“I ordered some sour cherries and they were delivered the next day. I was stunned. I couldn't find them anywhere and I am using them to make biscotti. I used sweet ones previously and was not happy. So, hopefully, these will work. Thanks for the speedy delivery!”
Wendy, Sugar Grove, Illinois September 23, 2009
“Thank you so much for having products that allow me to use my recipes from years ago! I am thrilled to have pickling spices without cinnamon! The dried cherries and mangos are to die for! Thank you again and you will definitely hear from me again!”
Myra, Lantana, TX July 23, 2009
“My order of dried cherries arrived today. Wow! They are so fresh and the best yet and I thought my previous orders were terrific but these are beyond terrific. Thanks”
KATHY July 15, 2009
“I received my order today, fast delivery I place an order for tart cherries and sesame sticks on 7/14/09 and it was at my door the next day...WOW...very fresh and tasty... I will be ordering again.”
Bonnie, Vermont June 26, 2009
“Beautiful dried blueberries and dried sour cherries!
Always great quality and FAST shipment!”
Dennis, Sheboygan, Wi. June 19, 2009
“My order arrived sooner than expected.The dried cherries are AWESOME.
Louis, Ponchatoula, Louisiana March 24, 2009
“Wow! The sour cherries from Nuts Online are the best dried fruit I've ever eaten! Very moist and not too tart...they're cherry-rific!!!”
Nora, Broad Brook, CT September 18, 2008
“Super fast delivery. Sour cherries are the best ever. Give this company a try. You won't go elsewhere. I was very pleased to see the e-mail from Nuts on Line telling me my delivery had arrived. That was different!”
Izabella Y. Balakirsky, MD August 22, 2008
“I've ordered your nuts and dried fruits for my mother and she was very pleased with them. She said sour cherries in particular are very good--not too dry, unlike sour cherries she got from another store. And she liked the cute "nutty" message on the packing slip, too :)”
Showing 81-90 of 103
Darlene, Dayton, OH August 27, 2014
“Tart and fresh. Mixed with the bing cherries I ordered and the are just right! Thank you.”
Serving Size 40g (~1.4 oz.)
(Approx. 11.4 Servings/Pound)
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories From Fat||5|
Montmorency Cherries, sugar, sunflower oil (may contain an occasional pit fragments)
Packaged in the same facility as peanuts, tree nuts, soy, and milk products.
Approximately 375 pieces per pound.
Store open or closed under refrigeration for up to 1 year. This item can be frozen.
Country of Origin: United States
|1 Pound Bags|
|5 Pound Bags|
|10 Pound Cases|