Our beloved grandfather, Poppy Sol, started this business in an open-air market. Three generations later, we’re still bringing smiles to our customers' faces.
Sour (Tart) Cherries
Dried tart cherries are a sweet, tart, and flavorful treat that is great for snacking, cooking, and baking. Our delicious tart Montmorency cherries are rich in antioxidants and nutrients that support heart health and reduce inflammation. Try our sour cherries straight out of the bag, in trail mix, or in baked goods. These dried cherries are lightly sweetened.
Our Registered Dietitian's Top Pick
Our Registered Dietitian and Health Nut likes dried cherries because they are rich in quercetin, a powerful flavonoid that has been linked to reducing heart disease. Plus, thanks to their deep, dark color from antocyanins, they are linked to reducing inflammation in the body. Try adding in tart cherries to salads, trail mix, and granola.
Health Benefits of Tart Cherries
1. In addition to being rich in potassium, vitamin C, and B complex, research has shown that cherry consumption can help the body prevent heart disease and cancer, as well as provide pain relief and improved bone health. These health benefits are possible due to the antioxidants found in cherries, the most vital of which are the flavonoids anthocyanins and quercetin, and the phenolic acid amygdalin.
2. According to researchers, a flavonoid found in cherries that has anticarcinogenic properties called quercetin can help to prevent heart disease. Dried cherries are considered a nutritionally significant source of quercetin, containing large quantities per serving that surpass most fruits.
3. A phenolic acid called amygdalin, also termed Vitamin B17 and laetrile, found in the kernels of cherries and other fruits, has been shown to reduce tumor size and further spread of cancer, as well as to alleviate the pains of the cancerous process. Populations such as the Hunza in Pakistan that have always incorporated amygdalin into their diets have remained cancer free, leading scientists to believe that its consumption could also be a powerful cancer prevention food.
4. Anthocyanins found in dried sour cherries also block inflammatory enzymes, reducing pain. In fact, 20 cherries are 10 times as potent as aspirin and have positive effects on gout and arthritis pain.
5. Dried cherries are also considered to be excellent sources of boron, providing 396 ug/100g. Boron consumption, coupled with calcium and magnesium has been linked to increased bone health.
6. Tart cherries naturally pack a health-promoting punch that provides pain relief for many consumers. Ongoing research shows that Montmorency tart cherries are a rich source of antioxidants, including melatonin, which may help to relieve the pain of arthritis, gout, and possibly fibromyalgia. To date, no other fruit or vegetable has been found to have the pain relieving properties of tart cherries. In addition, the antioxidants in tart cherries can help fight cancer and heart disease.
7) If you're having trouble sleeping at night, eating a handful of tart cherries in the hours before bedtime can help. Researchers from Louisiana State University found that participants who drank Montmorency tart cherry juice twice a day for two weeks were able to sleep almost 90 minutes longer than the placebo group. The researchers suggest that the combination of melatonin and tryptophan found in cherries promotes a good night's sleep. They concluded that tart cherries are a safe alternative for insomniacs relying on sleeping pills.
Enjoy Tart Cherries
These sour cherries have an incredible sweet and tangy flavor that we like to enjoy by the handful. They add a delicious tart and fruity flavor to cookies, scones, breads, and other baked treats. Try them in granola and trail mix, or sprinkled over yogurt and oatmeal. Tart cherries go well paired with cheese, nuts, and other dried fruit. They also make an interesting addition to chicken salads, pasta salads, and vegetable dishes. Tart cherries are flavorful and versatile. We’re sure you’ll find many wonderful uses for them!
Leave online feedback and share your thoughts with other customers!
Roseann, Rochester, Washington November 3, 2010
“I just received my first shipment of dried cherries today and they are simply delicious! I will definitely be ordering more and others goodies as well.”
Faye, Pago Pago, AS July 12, 2010
“I just received my first order of sour (tart) cherries and know they will become a favorite and I'm impressed with the fast delivery to me in Pago Pago, American Samoa.”
Kearsten, Blanchardville, WI May 24, 2010
“I was searching the internet for a good place to order jumbo raisins, when I happened upon your delightful website. The pictures and descriptions sounded wonderful, and the personal testimonials secured my choices. I ordered dried cherries for my mom for mother's day and she said they were softer and tastier than any she's had. I got dried organic mango and jumbo flame raisins for myself. The mango? Out of this world, exploding with flavor. I took a chance on ordering a 30-# box of raisins, and I'm glad I did. Not only did I save money, but I have a supply to last long into the future--of soft, sweet, delicious raisins. Thank you so much and I will definitely order again. Kearsten Frye”
Grace, Flushing, New York May 20, 2010
“Hey guys I was really thrilled at such quick delivery. My cherries were as I expected..Delectable...Everything is fresh and tasty. I made my frappuccinos and smoothies at home at with the syrups and all the things I can make...I will definitely recommend you and you will be the place to go from nuts to candy...Thank You so much...I love you guys....”
Joe, Durham, NC March 4, 2010
“I ordered Organic Walnuts and dried sour Cherries - VERY satisfied with the whole experience. The order came faster than I thought (and was even delivered on a Saturday), and the product is excellent - much more consistent than store-bought.”
Stephanie, Mahwah, NJ January 29, 2010
“WOW!! I came back for more and was NOT disappointed! The almonds are big and full of flavor...and the tart cherries are HUGE!! I will definitely be back for more. Oh, and your customer service staff are OUTSTANDING! Very helpful and go above and beyond...Thank you so much!”
Roberta December 17, 2009
“I'm a new customer and have placed 3 orders in the past 30 days. I love the tart cherries. They are chewy yet fresh and perfectly tart. The organic freeze-dried Granny Smith apple pieces are also wonderful: they're a healthy, light yet satisfying snack that isn't super sweet. If you like your fruit on the tart side, I highly recommend both the cherries and the Granny apple pieces. I also bought the mixed fruit assortment as a holiday gift for colleagues, and it was surprisingly super fresh and soft.Delivery was good, too. Received both orders in the 5 business days as promised. I will definitely order again.”
RLB, Vegas December 4, 2009
“Wonderful! We use them in scones, snack mixes and straight out of the bag. Such a fresh flavor and so big a luscious! Rocking fruit! ”
marcia, englewood, nj December 4, 2009
“I ordered some sour cherries and they were delivered the next day. I was stunned. I couldn't find them anywhere and I am using them to make biscotti. I used sweet ones previously and was not happy. So, hopefully, these will work. Thanks for the speedy delivery!”
Wendy, Sugar Grove, Illinois September 23, 2009
“Thank you so much for having products that allow me to use my recipes from years ago! I am thrilled to have pickling spices without cinnamon! The dried cherries and mangos are to die for! Thank you again and you will definitely hear from me again!”
Showing 61-70 of 90
Jack, Hollywood, CA April 13, 2014
“These cherries rock! I added them to my 'trail mix' and it was an instant upgrade. I hate raisins and cranberries after a while, These cherries are a welcomed relief!
So glad I found this company. I'm stocking up for a month long JMT trek this summer...I'm going to be eating like a king thanks to these guys!”
Serving Size 40g (~1.4 oz.)
(Approx. 11.4 Servings/Pound)
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories From Fat||5|
Montmorency Cherries, sugar, sunflower oil (may contain an occasional pit fragments)
Packaged in the same facility as peanuts, tree nuts, soy, and milk products.
Approximately 375 pieces per pound.
Store open or closed under refrigeration for up to 1 year. This item can be frozen.
Country of Origin: United States
|1 Pound Bags|
|5 Pound Bags|
|10 Pound Cases|