Our beloved grandfather, Poppy Sol, started this business in an open-air market. Three generations later, we’re still bringing smiles to our customers' faces.
Sour (Tart) Cherries
Dried tart cherries are a sweet, tart, and flavorful treat that is great for snacking, cooking, and baking. Our delicious tart Montmorency cherries are rich in antioxidants and nutrients that support heart health and reduce inflammation. Try our sour cherries straight out of the bag, in trail mix, or in baked goods. These dried cherries are lightly sweetened.
Our Registered Dietitian's Top Pick
Our Registered Dietitian and Health Nut likes dried cherries because they are rich in quercetin, a powerful flavonoid that has been linked to reducing heart disease. Plus, thanks to their deep, dark color from antocyanins, they are linked to reducing inflammation in the body. Try adding in tart cherries to salads, trail mix, and granola.
Health Benefits of Tart Cherries
1. In addition to being rich in potassium, vitamin C, and B complex, research has shown that cherry consumption can help the body prevent heart disease and cancer, as well as provide pain relief and improved bone health. These health benefits are possible due to the antioxidants found in cherries, the most vital of which are the flavonoids anthocyanins and quercetin, and the phenolic acid amygdalin.
2. According to researchers, a flavonoid found in cherries that has anticarcinogenic properties called quercetin can help to prevent heart disease. Dried cherries are considered a nutritionally significant source of quercetin, containing large quantities per serving that surpass most fruits.
3. A phenolic acid called amygdalin, also termed Vitamin B17 and laetrile, found in the kernels of cherries and other fruits, has been shown to reduce tumor size and further spread of cancer, as well as to alleviate the pains of the cancerous process. Populations such as the Hunza in Pakistan that have always incorporated amygdalin into their diets have remained cancer free, leading scientists to believe that its consumption could also be a powerful cancer prevention food.
4. Anthocyanins found in dried sour cherries also block inflammatory enzymes, reducing pain. In fact, 20 cherries are 10 times as potent as aspirin and have positive effects on gout and arthritis pain.
5. Dried cherries are also considered to be excellent sources of boron, providing 396 ug/100g. Boron consumption, coupled with calcium and magnesium has been linked to increased bone health.
6. Tart cherries naturally pack a health-promoting punch that provides pain relief for many consumers. Ongoing research shows that Montmorency tart cherries are a rich source of antioxidants, including melatonin, which may help to relieve the pain of arthritis, gout, and possibly fibromyalgia. To date, no other fruit or vegetable has been found to have the pain relieving properties of tart cherries. In addition, the antioxidants in tart cherries can help fight cancer and heart disease.
7) If you're having trouble sleeping at night, eating a handful of tart cherries in the hours before bedtime can help. Researchers from Louisiana State University found that participants who drank Montmorency tart cherry juice twice a day for two weeks were able to sleep almost 90 minutes longer than the placebo group. The researchers suggest that the combination of melatonin and tryptophan found in cherries promotes a good night's sleep. They concluded that tart cherries are a safe alternative for insomniacs relying on sleeping pills.
Enjoy Tart Cherries
These sour cherries have an incredible sweet and tangy flavor that we like to enjoy by the handful. They add a delicious tart and fruity flavor to cookies, scones, breads, and other baked treats. Try them in granola and trail mix, or sprinkled over yogurt and oatmeal. Tart cherries go well paired with cheese, nuts, and other dried fruit. They also make an interesting addition to chicken salads, pasta salads, and vegetable dishes. Tart cherries are flavorful and versatile. We’re sure you’ll find many wonderful uses for them!
Leave online feedback and share your thoughts with other customers!
Pat September 21, 2012
“IN OATMEAL! When I was a kid, it was always raisins in my oatmeal but last winter I found out that these cherries are much better, an explosion of flavor.”
Jan, Frontenac, KS August 23, 2012
“Received order today. The dried cherries are delicious!!! Will definitely order items from you again. The shipping container is a hoot. And congratulations on your newest little peanut.”
Sarah, Conyers, GA July 31, 2012
“Yes, I received my nuts and goodies package today. I had been doing pear preserves and jelly and I had laid down for a break. I woke up and my package was here. Everything is fresh and so tasty. Those pitted tart cherries are great. Thank you and may God bless you all and your Nutty Business.
Pamela, Washington, DC July 28, 2012
“Order arrived on time as usual, could not wait to start eating my delicious date and cherries and the rest, thanks again for your prompt delivery, until next time. Thanks”
Maribel, New York, NY June 9, 2012
“Just got my dried tart cherries, tore the box open and I'm chewing as I type. Delicious flavor, and oh so tangy. Thanks for the amazingly quick delivery!! I will be ordering again soon!”
Susan June 5, 2012
“just received the tart cherries - absolutely fresh and delicious!”
Martha, Silver Spring, Md May 2, 2012
“Wow! you guys are awesome! I placed an order yesterday and today I was pleasantly surprised when my order arrived. I couldn't wait to taste the tart cherries, and they're terrific. I will definitely order again. BTW thanks so much for the sample you included. ”
Arvind, nashua, nh April 3, 2012
“Oh My God!...I really don't have words!...I just loved them. The tart cherries or the whole dried cranberries. Phenomenal!....I also liked the way in which the order was tracked and delivered...very sweet...2 thumbs up!...definitely going to order in future!”
Linda March 7, 2012
“Okay, where to begin? The sour tart cherries are amazing. The strawberries awesome. The edamame great. The dates wonderful. Still need to try the rest. But I'll spread the work. Great job.”
Bonnie, Hazard, Ky. March 6, 2012
“My order arrived yesterday in perfect condition.Of course I had to sample everything as soon as it arrived. I ordered organic apricots, dried cherries and fig bars. All were delicious but the cherries were sooo good and sooo big. I was very impressed by everything and will definitely be ordering again.Thanks so much for great products!”
Showing 51-60 of 112
Cheryl, Palmetto, GA October 1, 2014
“Always fresh and delicious, always delivered on time and in good shape.”
Serving Size 40g (~1.4 oz.)
(Approx. 11.4 Servings/Pound)
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories From Fat||5|
Montmorency Cherries, sugar, sunflower oil (may contain an occasional pit fragments)
Packaged in the same facility as peanuts, tree nuts, soy, and milk products.
Approximately 375 pieces per pound.
Store open or closed under refrigeration for up to 1 year. This item can be frozen.
Country of Origin: United States
|1 Pound Bags|
|5 Pound Bags|
|10 Pound Cases|