Our beloved grandfather, Poppy Sol, started this business in an open-air market. Three generations later, we’re still bringing smiles to our customers' faces.
Sour (Tart) Cherries
Dried tart cherries are a sweet, tart, and flavorful treat that is great for snacking, cooking, and baking. Our delicious tart Montmorency cherries are rich in antioxidants and nutrients that support heart health and reduce inflammation. Try our sour cherries straight out of the bag, in trail mix, or in baked goods. These dried cherries are lightly sweetened.
Our Registered Dietitian's Top Pick
Our Registered Dietitian and Health Nut likes dried cherries because they are rich in quercetin, a powerful flavonoid that has been linked to reducing heart disease. Plus, thanks to their deep, dark color from antocyanins, they are linked to reducing inflammation in the body. Try adding in tart cherries to salads, trail mix, and granola.
Health Benefits of Tart Cherries
1. In addition to being rich in potassium, vitamin C, and B complex, research has shown that cherry consumption can help the body prevent heart disease and cancer, as well as provide pain relief and improved bone health. These health benefits are possible due to the antioxidants found in cherries, the most vital of which are the flavonoids anthocyanins and quercetin, and the phenolic acid amygdalin.
2. According to researchers, a flavonoid found in cherries that has anticarcinogenic properties called quercetin can help to prevent heart disease. Dried cherries are considered a nutritionally significant source of quercetin, containing large quantities per serving that surpass most fruits.
3. A phenolic acid called amygdalin, also termed Vitamin B17 and laetrile, found in the kernels of cherries and other fruits, has been shown to reduce tumor size and further spread of cancer, as well as to alleviate the pains of the cancerous process. Populations such as the Hunza in Pakistan that have always incorporated amygdalin into their diets have remained cancer free, leading scientists to believe that its consumption could also be a powerful cancer prevention food.
4. Anthocyanins found in dried sour cherries also block inflammatory enzymes, reducing pain. In fact, 20 cherries are 10 times as potent as aspirin and have positive effects on gout and arthritis pain.
5. Dried cherries are also considered to be excellent sources of boron, providing 396 ug/100g. Boron consumption, coupled with calcium and magnesium has been linked to increased bone health.
6. Tart cherries naturally pack a health-promoting punch that provides pain relief for many consumers. Ongoing research shows that Montmorency tart cherries are a rich source of antioxidants, including melatonin, which may help to relieve the pain of arthritis, gout, and possibly fibromyalgia. To date, no other fruit or vegetable has been found to have the pain relieving properties of tart cherries. In addition, the antioxidants in tart cherries can help fight cancer and heart disease.
7) If you're having trouble sleeping at night, eating a handful of tart cherries in the hours before bedtime can help. Researchers from Louisiana State University found that participants who drank Montmorency tart cherry juice twice a day for two weeks were able to sleep almost 90 minutes longer than the placebo group. The researchers suggest that the combination of melatonin and tryptophan found in cherries promotes a good night's sleep. They concluded that tart cherries are a safe alternative for insomniacs relying on sleeping pills.
Enjoy Tart Cherries
These sour cherries have an incredible sweet and tangy flavor that we like to enjoy by the handful. They add a delicious tart and fruity flavor to cookies, scones, breads, and other baked treats. Try them in granola and trail mix, or sprinkled over yogurt and oatmeal. Tart cherries go well paired with cheese, nuts, and other dried fruit. They also make an interesting addition to chicken salads, pasta salads, and vegetable dishes. Tart cherries are flavorful and versatile. We’re sure you’ll find many wonderful uses for them!
Leave online feedback and share your thoughts with other customers!
Martha, Silver Spring, Md May 2, 2012
“Wow! you guys are awesome! I placed an order yesterday and today I was pleasantly surprised when my order arrived. I couldn't wait to taste the tart cherries, and they're terrific. I will definitely order again. BTW thanks so much for the sample you included. ”
Arvind, nashua, nh April 3, 2012
“Oh My God!...I really don't have words!...I just loved them. The tart cherries or the whole dried cranberries. Phenomenal!....I also liked the way in which the order was tracked and delivered...very sweet...2 thumbs up!...definitely going to order in future!”
Linda March 7, 2012
“Okay, where to begin? The sour tart cherries are amazing. The strawberries awesome. The edamame great. The dates wonderful. Still need to try the rest. But I'll spread the work. Great job.”
Bonnie, Hazard, Ky. March 6, 2012
“My order arrived yesterday in perfect condition.Of course I had to sample everything as soon as it arrived. I ordered organic apricots, dried cherries and fig bars. All were delicious but the cherries were sooo good and sooo big. I was very impressed by everything and will definitely be ordering again.Thanks so much for great products!”
Linda, Green Cove Springs, FL February 22, 2012
“I just received my shipment which was very prompt and just what I ordered. I like the individual packaging of each item in high quality resealable zipper bags. So far, I tested the dried cherries and they are delicious; much better than what I can get in the local supermarket. I am impressed!”
Laurie, Lynnfield, MA February 11, 2012
“Received my order yesterday. Fastest shipping of any company I've done business with on the internet. The Holiday Date Rolls are AMAZING! Best I've ever tasted. All of the products I've ordered are fantastic. The dried cranberries and dried cherries are so plump and delicious. I just can't say enough good things about Nuts.com. Love all you nutty guys!”
marta, baltimore, maryland January 23, 2012
“Your service is the best.I could hardly believe how fast my package arrived.Everything is delicious.I have never tasted better apricots or tart cherries.I will certainly keep my orders coming, and I will recommend you to friends!
Laurie, Lynnfield, MA January 16, 2012
“I just opened a bag of your dried tart cherries. They are so plump and chockfull of cherry flavor. Best I've ever had. I'll be ordering more soon!!!”
Sara, Columbia, MO January 3, 2012
“Wow! First time to order, but it will definitely not be my last. Two pounds of macadamia nuts are gone in a week! ;-) My son ate all of the chocolate covered sunflower seeds before we finished opening gifts Christmas morning. I loved tart cherries so much that I have been looking up recipes to use them in -- outstanding flavor.
You did just as I asked, sent things just to arrive near Christmas. We are going to try a whole bunch of new things next time -- okay, in addition to those favorites we already located.
Thanks, Nuts Online -- your box even made it into the wrapping pile and my husband thought I was calling him Nuts! ;-) ”
Laina, Apalachin, NY November 19, 2011
“Received my package today after ordering yesterday afternoon....:) Very happy with the products.....the dried sour cherries are delicious and I can't wait to bake with them. Had originally been on line searching for green tea powder to bake with and ended up here. Thanks so much for the sample of dried cranberries perfect gift for this time of year. I was so happy I posted you on my Face Book site....:)”
Showing 51-60 of 106
Helene, Santa Fe, NM September 13, 2014
“Hello to everyone at Nuts.com !!
I received the order within a couple of days, cashews taste great, cherries taste great. And thank you for the little something extra in the box ( dried cranberries )
Will order more later. We appreciate your products.
Helene and Alex ( mote nuts fans... )”
Serving Size 40g (~1.4 oz.)
(Approx. 11.4 Servings/Pound)
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories From Fat||5|
Montmorency Cherries, sugar, sunflower oil (may contain an occasional pit fragments)
Packaged in the same facility as peanuts, tree nuts, soy, and milk products.
Approximately 375 pieces per pound.
Store open or closed under refrigeration for up to 1 year. This item can be frozen.
Country of Origin: United States
|1 Pound Bags|
|5 Pound Bags|
|10 Pound Cases|