Our beloved grandfather, Poppy Sol, started this business in an open-air market. Three generations later, we’re still bringing smiles to our customers' faces.
Sour (Tart) Cherries
Dried tart cherries are a sweet, tart, and flavorful treat that is great for snacking, cooking, and baking. Our delicious tart Montmorency cherries are rich in antioxidants and nutrients that support heart health and reduce inflammation. Try our sour cherries straight out of the bag, in trail mix, or in baked goods. These dried cherries are lightly sweetened.
Our Registered Dietitian's Top Pick
Our Registered Dietitian and Health Nut likes dried cherries because they are rich in quercetin, a powerful flavonoid that has been linked to reducing heart disease. Plus, thanks to their deep, dark color from antocyanins, they are linked to reducing inflammation in the body. Try adding in tart cherries to salads, trail mix, and granola.
Health Benefits of Tart Cherries
1. In addition to being rich in potassium, vitamin C, and B complex, research has shown that cherry consumption can help the body prevent heart disease and cancer, as well as provide pain relief and improved bone health. These health benefits are possible due to the antioxidants found in cherries, the most vital of which are the flavonoids anthocyanins and quercetin, and the phenolic acid amygdalin.
2. According to researchers, a flavonoid found in cherries that has anticarcinogenic properties called quercetin can help to prevent heart disease. Dried cherries are considered a nutritionally significant source of quercetin, containing large quantities per serving that surpass most fruits.
3. A phenolic acid called amygdalin, also termed Vitamin B17 and laetrile, found in the kernels of cherries and other fruits, has been shown to reduce tumor size and further spread of cancer, as well as to alleviate the pains of the cancerous process. Populations such as the Hunza in Pakistan that have always incorporated amygdalin into their diets have remained cancer free, leading scientists to believe that its consumption could also be a powerful cancer prevention food.
4. Anthocyanins found in dried sour cherries also block inflammatory enzymes, reducing pain. In fact, 20 cherries are 10 times as potent as aspirin and have positive effects on gout and arthritis pain.
5. Dried cherries are also considered to be excellent sources of boron, providing 396 ug/100g. Boron consumption, coupled with calcium and magnesium has been linked to increased bone health.
6. Tart cherries naturally pack a health-promoting punch that provides pain relief for many consumers. Ongoing research shows that Montmorency tart cherries are a rich source of antioxidants, including melatonin, which may help to relieve the pain of arthritis, gout, and possibly fibromyalgia. To date, no other fruit or vegetable has been found to have the pain relieving properties of tart cherries. In addition, the antioxidants in tart cherries can help fight cancer and heart disease.
7) If you're having trouble sleeping at night, eating a handful of tart cherries in the hours before bedtime can help. Researchers from Louisiana State University found that participants who drank Montmorency tart cherry juice twice a day for two weeks were able to sleep almost 90 minutes longer than the placebo group. The researchers suggest that the combination of melatonin and tryptophan found in cherries promotes a good night's sleep. They concluded that tart cherries are a safe alternative for insomniacs relying on sleeping pills.
Enjoy Tart Cherries
These sour cherries have an incredible sweet and tangy flavor that we like to enjoy by the handful. They add a delicious tart and fruity flavor to cookies, scones, breads, and other baked treats. Try them in granola and trail mix, or sprinkled over yogurt and oatmeal. Tart cherries go well paired with cheese, nuts, and other dried fruit. They also make an interesting addition to chicken salads, pasta salads, and vegetable dishes. Tart cherries are flavorful and versatile. We’re sure you’ll find many wonderful uses for them!
Leave online feedback and share your thoughts with other customers!
David, Wilson, NC May 20, 2013
“Local stores are carrying less & less variety these days & they cater to younger shoppers. I was happy to get Chicory for my favorite coffee, the sour cherries remind me of my home state of Michigan & some of the best pies I've eaten while the Licorice Allsorts are fresh and another childhood favorite. Next quest; those energy bar assortments! ”
JoanneMarie, Sicklerville, NJ May 9, 2013
“You guys are amazing. I plan on telling everyone about you and your products. On Monday I ordered your dried cherries. On Tuesday, they were waiting for me when I got home from work, in the cutest box, on my doorstep. Before I even tried the cherries, I popped open the dried cranberry sample you sent. I have never seen such beautiful plump dried cranberries, and they were absolutely delicious. Oh, the cherries are very yummy, too!
I will definitely be a repeat customer!”
Janice, Bayside, NY May 9, 2013
“I ordered one pound of tart cherries and they were delivered the next day. I use them for baking and they are so delicious and soft, it's incredible. You have a customer for life!!”
Corbster, CR, Colorado April 26, 2013
“Even though it is late April, it feels like Christmas morning because we just opened up a new box from Nuts.com. We love those montmorency dried cherries. They are delicious on oatmeal, in trail mix or just snackin'. And thank you for always adding a surprise treat! Today we opened a package of dried strawberries. There is a Santa Claus, he's at Nuts.com.”
Carol & Tom, Rehoboth Beach, DE March 13, 2013
“We have received the tart cherries and they are the best yet. So happy we found you.
Looking forward to trying your nuts.
Stephanie, Georgia, VT March 7, 2013
“My co-worker and I had to visit an office building and while there we were invited to help ourselves to the free offerings the company provided in their break room. Besides fresh fruit, yogurt and almonds, they had put out the most delicious dried fruit we'd ever had. Your distinctive packing boxes were spotted and upon return to my own office I almost immediately looked you up and tried to figure out what the dried fruit was. Just to be safe I ordered two things - whole dried cranberries and cherries. The cranberries were it and I am addicted. The cherries are awesome as well. I'll be ordering again and again... thanks!!!”
Jim, Carbondale, PA February 15, 2013
“It is totally insane how FAST the shipping was. I placed my order Thursday evening and it arrived Friday afternoon. That was with normal FedEX ground. Lightning isn't that fast! haha. I love every product I received!! So fresh and tasty! You have made me a customer for life with your service! Thank you Nuts.com!!!”
Carol, Florence, KY February 8, 2013
“What a pleasant surprise to find my first order on the door step this morning! Such quick service. The pepitas are the best I've ever tasted and the dried cherries are, too. I'm sure the other items will be great, also. I'm so pleased with the order that I've just placed a second order for different items. All prices are so reasonable, too. You now have another
Ann, Southampton, MA February 6, 2013
“You guys are fast and fantastic! I ordered Tuesday afternoon and low and behold here they are the very next day. The nuts and fruit are delicious, very fresh. ”
Cindy, Chicago, IL February 2, 2013
“These cherries are FANTASTIC. They are bursting with REAL cherry flavor, reminds me of eating a good cherry pie, without all the bad stuff. Just wish I had ordered MORE!”
Showing 21-30 of 103
Darlene, Dayton, OH August 27, 2014
“Tart and fresh. Mixed with the bing cherries I ordered and the are just right! Thank you.”
Serving Size 40g (~1.4 oz.)
(Approx. 11.4 Servings/Pound)
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories From Fat||5|
Montmorency Cherries, sugar, sunflower oil (may contain an occasional pit fragments)
Packaged in the same facility as peanuts, tree nuts, soy, and milk products.
Approximately 375 pieces per pound.
Store open or closed under refrigeration for up to 1 year. This item can be frozen.
Country of Origin: United States
|1 Pound Bags|
|5 Pound Bags|
|10 Pound Cases|